Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Cherry Porter Critique Please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky21 View Post
That's so much juice. I wonder how thin the body will be with all of those simple sugars. Kind of makes me want throw together a Chocolate Stout Cherry Shandy. Hopefully it turns out well it should have a dry finish, a lot of chocolate, and a lot of cherry too....
Yeah, it is a lot of juice, but it's actually less than the 9 jars (72oz.) in the original recipe that I got my inspiration from:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/choc...-stout-326884/

and this beer's OG was less than mine. I don't want 'Cherry Rocket Fuel', but instead a nice, chocolaty porter that will hold up to a fair amount of cherry flavor. I want to be able to tell that there is cherry in it, without it being overpowering. After reading the original recipe above I settled on 8 jars - I can always add more if I want to at kegging time.

I also noticed that I had the sugar amount wrong in the last post. I have corrected the white table sugar BK addition from 1lb to 8oz.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
OCBrewin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Let me know if you think the toasted oats made a difference. My brother was telling me to do that on the phone for the RIS I just came up with, and I opted to leave them be.. Curious what it would add to the beer.
I will do - although it may be hard to tell with all of the other flavors happening in this beer. I tasted them before I brewed and there is definitely a flavor difference. The toasted oats remind me more of an actual oatmeal cookie, whereas the plain oats have that raw silky taste - more like plain oatmeal that you would have for breakfast. I will definitely be using it more in the future for beers like stouts, porters, and maybe even esb, browns and milds.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #13
OCBrewin

Recipes 

So here's a quick update. I took a hydro reading today (day 15 after pitch) and she seems to be stalled out at 1.030. The OG adjusted for the juice was just about 1.100, but this still seems like too high of a final gravity. Will it come down more? I'm gonna check again in one week and see where it is. If its still high I'm thinking of making a starter with some fresh S-04 or S-05 and repitching at high krausen. What do ya think?

The sample was really good, apart from being a bit sweet and uncarbed. Heavy thick chocolate with just the slightest cherry background and a slight warming from alcohol. The cherry is almost non detectable, I don't think you could pick it out if you didn't know. I still have one juice concentrate that I didn't pour in the primary that I will add just before kegging I think. Overall, I'm very happy so far, and hope that it'll eventually get down to around 1.022-1.024 for a nice 10.5%+ holiday beer

Quick Reply