Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Cherry Imperial Oatmeal Stout (first AG, critique please!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
rxp
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chocolate Cherry Imperial Oatmeal Stout (first AG, critique please!)

I've done two extract batches and I'll be making the leap into all-grain next month. I would like to make some adjustments to my chocolate-cherry enhancement of Brewer's Best RIS; the cherry comes across well (a bit much, in fact), but I never obtained the level of chocolate character I wanted, despite 8 oz of baking cocoa in the last 15 minutes of boil and 4 oz of nibs in the secondary. My rationale for a imperial oatmeal stout recipe is that it might better support the chocolate notes while maintaining the warmth of a Russian imperial stout. Using hopville.com's calculator, here's what I come up with:

OG: 1.099
FG: 1.027
Color: 41° SRM / 81° EBC (Black)
Mash Efficiency: 75%
Batch size: 5.5 gallons
Bitterness: 63.3 IBU
BU/GU: 0.64
ABV: 9.6%

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
74% 15 0 Pale Malt, 2 Row, UK info 36 3
10% 2 0 Flaked Oats info 33 2
5% 1 0 Chocolate Malt (UK) info 34 450
5% 1 0 Victory Malt info 34 25
5% 1 0 British Crystal 50-60L info 34 55
2% 0 6 Roasted Barley info 25 300
20 6

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 90 mins 2.0 Willamette pellet 5.5
boil 90 mins 2.0 East Kent Goldings pellet 5.0

yeast: Safale S-04

misc
use time amount ingredient
boil 20 min 4 ounces Chocolate, Baker's
boil 20 min 4 ounces Cocoa Powder
secondary 14 days 8 ounces Cocoa Nibs
secondary 14 days 5 pounds Cherry Puree
secondary 14 days 0.25 ounces Vanilla Bean

Any thoughts? Please feel free to tear it apart keeping in mind that I'm looking for a big, warm, winter dessert beer that supports and accentuates chocolate character while maintaining hints of cherry. I plan to let this bottle condition for six to nine months. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
beerchemist
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it's your first AG batch, consider making something simpler that you can drink sooner, just to verify every step in your process--it took 'till my third or fourth AG batch to get everything dialed in just right, but YMMV.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
TBrosBrewing
Recipes 

In my brews I've generally used about 8oz of coco powder per 5 gal. I've never used bakers chocolate or nibs in a beer. In order to keep it from clumping up treat it like corn starch, pull some wort from the kettle and whisk it in, otherwise it will get clumpy and fall out at cooling.

Also, i like using several types of chocolate malt. I'm a big fan of using light chocolate malt in conjunction with normal chocolate malt. I usually go about 50/50.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
rxp
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerchemist View Post
If it's your first AG batch, consider making something simpler that you can drink sooner, just to verify every step in your process--it took 'till my third or fourth AG batch to get everything dialed in just right, but YMMV.
I probably will; I just haven't decided what yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrosBrewing
In my brews I've generally used about 8oz of coco powder per 5 gal. I've never used bakers chocolate or nibs in a beer. In order to keep it from clumping up treat it like corn starch, pull some wort from the kettle and whisk it in, otherwise it will get clumpy and fall out at cooling.

Also, i like using several types of chocolate malt. I'm a big fan of using light chocolate malt in conjunction with normal chocolate malt. I usually go about 50/50.
I'll give that mixing approach a shot; when I added mine to the boil last time, I poured it in slowly under constant stirring and most of it fell out of suspension in primary within a week.

I've been reading good things about pale chocolate malt since your tip, so 1/2 lb each of pale chocolate and chocolate -- sounds good!

Quick Reply