Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Cherry Bourbon Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
ericmunley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chocolate Cherry Bourbon Imperial Stout

Hello all. I wanted to run my idea by people who know a lot more about brewing than I do.

I just picked up a RIS kit from Northern Brewer. I plan on making the RIS base, then racking it over cocoa powder in the secondary. In addition, I am planning on soaking oak cubes in Jim Beam's new "Red Stag" black cherry infused Bourbon and adding these into the secondary as well.

Hopefully, this makes a thick, strong stout with some chocolate, bourbon, cherry and oak notes. My question is do any of you have any recommendations on what type of oak or chocolate I should use. All recommendations welcome...I thank you in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'd say toss a pint of the bourbon in at bottling time. I made a bourbon porter this way and it was incredible.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
kaj030201
Recipes 

just did something similar with the oak. i actually purchased "bourbon barrel wood chips" from ebay, and soaked them in Jameson for a month. they really absorb (and give off) a lot of flavor, so watch the length of time you leave in your beer.
as for the cocoa, i cant really say. i've added cocoa in at the end of a boil, but not into the fermenter. good luck- sounds amazing!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
ericmunley
Recipes 

I appreciate the feedback, gents!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Wyseman
Recipes 

I just kegged a batch of Northern Brewers Bourbon Barrel Porter and used the JB Red Stag and it is Great! In this kit you use a whole fifth (750ml) of the bourbon in the secondary along with 2oz of med toast oak cubes, and the Bourbon and oak comes thru but not much of the Cherry flavor after four weeks in the secondary.

Kegged in the Keezer:
70 Schilling Scottish Ale
Oaked 70 Shilling with Jameison Irish Whiskey
Oaked Red Stag Porter

Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
dropitlikesitshot
Recipes 

@ Wyseman. I am going to brew NB Big Hokin stout extract kit and was thinking about adding whiskey soaked oak chips (1oz) and Oregon tart cherries (14.5 can). I have two questions for you. First, since you warned on the soaking length what would you say is the correct amount of time? Second, what did you use for cherry flavor and how much.

After reading several post on adding whiskey soaked oak chips i am leaning towards soaking an ounce for 2 days before adding and using 3 cans of Oregon's tart cherry cans.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply