*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > chocolate in beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #1
phuzle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default chocolate in beer

i made a wheat beer with a lot of chocolate malt with the idea of it being a chocolatey wheat beer, but now im liking the idea even more and i want to add actual melted chocolate into the carboy. has anyone done this, adding chocolate into the secondary fermentation? will it just harden and fall to the bottom or will it mix with the beer? should i use unsweetened chocolate or sweetened? or should i not do it at all?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I found a Porter recipe which called for 10 rounded spoonfuls of cocoa which were added to the boil.

I was wondering about this as well. Plus in looking over a lot of recipies, I find a lot of people adding fruit, such as blackberries and cherries to the secondary. It would be interesting to hear some opinions on this as well.

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Last edited by Tony; 03-02-2005 at 04:26 AM.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #3
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

A few thoughts...

Chocolate malt is just the name of a malted barley that is kilned to a certain darkness. So, it really has nothing to do with chocolate, though I suppose the flavor is sort of like chocolate. It mostly suggests the color.

I would not add melted chocolate to a beer. If you want to add chocolate, get unsweetened cocoa powder, and don't use some crappy Hershey's. Get yourself some Scharffenberger or Ghiradelli or something good for your beer. Most chocloate bars have cocoa butter in them which would not dissolve at all I don't think and would not do what you want. Do not use sweetened chocolate as it may have unfermentable sweetness.

There's a long tradition of fruit in brewing, especially in Belgium. Personally, I think that too many homebrewers jump on far-out beers like fruit beers instead of just trying to learn to make good beer that they like. After all, who goes to the store and buys a case of blackberry chili-pepper porter? Yet a lot of new brewers really seem to want to get "creative" right off the bat. The problem is, then you don't know if your beer is good or bad or just a bad idea. In other words, if it tastes bad, it could be your technique or it could be that a blackberry chili-pepper beer is a bad idea. That's why I recommend new brewers try making styles that they actually like to drink at first. But, hey, to each his own.

Personally, I think a lot of the fruit beers made in microbreweries today suck bad. Sweet, insipid drinks with little character suitable only for getting your prom date drunk. Now fruited Belgian lambics are another thing. So, I guess there's a place for fruit in some specialty beers, but I haven't made a fruit beer in years. I don't think my friends would like it nearly as much if I had blueberry wheat on tap instead of a good hoppy pale ale, and frankly, neither would I.

In the end, I think you can more often make better beers using traditional ingredients, leaving out the fruit, chocolate, coffee, chilis, etc, etc, etc. There's a reason mainstream beers don't have that stuff in them, and it aint because homebrewers are just so darn creative as to have thought of it first

Do yourself a favor and try to make a beer you'd really like to drink. That's always my advice to new brewers, who always seem intent on making some wacky style no one has ever heard of. Believe me, you'll derive a whole lot of satisfaction from making a beer in a "normal" style like a pale ale that is tasty, fresh, and appreciated by your beer-drinking friends. Plus, you'll be able to tell how good it is because you have had beers in that style before.

Just MHO. Take it or leave it. Cheers!

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-02-2005, 04:29 AM   #4
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I edited my last post, as I didnt post correctly.

The recipe calle for "10 rounded spoonfuls of cocoa" which were added to the boil.

I know about the chocolate malts, but this one called for actual cocoa...I found that weird.

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 03-02-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
phuzle
Recipes 

i sort of feel you on the wacky beer style thing. i do like some of the wacky homebrews a whole lot though (ive got homebrewer friends that got me into it) - and i've had plenty of wacky microbrews - and i like them just as much as the "regular" beers. a beer i drank a lot of last summer is abita's raspberry wheat and i couldnt get enough of it. bell's cherry stout is a very expensive beer (so i dont drink it too often) but it is one of my favorite beers of all time. all of dogfish head's beers are pretty wacky, and i love em. i've had plenty of crazy wacky homebrews and liked most of them a lot. i figure, if i want a well crafted pale ale - i live about a mile away from bell's and i can get as many as i want. i'm definately trying some of the regular beer styles and keeping them simple, but some things i want to make simply because i cant get them elsewhere. my maple ginger porter is incredibly good, as is my jalapeno esb. my aprihop ipa (20 oz of hops in 10 gallons, made from a clone recipe for dogfish head's aprihop and another recipe that won the AHA ipa gold medal and a few of my own modifications) is really good so far, i just racked it to tertiary and had a little taste and it was really spectacular. im giving it more time to round out the flavors and get any last fermentables, but i think its damn good. right now im making beers that i dont really want to drink a lot of, theyre more for specialty than anything... so anyways, i think both types of beers have their good points. just because a beer has fruit in it doesnt mean its a chick beer or overly sweet - it can be quite crisp and nicely bitter with a slight fruit taste or aroma. i think you should give fruit and wacky beers another chance - bottle them though, so you arent forced to drink them all at once - but also keep doing what you like best in your kegs.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuzle
i made a wheat beer with a lot of chocolate malt with the idea of it being a chocolatey wheat beer, but now im liking the idea even more and i want to add actual melted chocolate into the carboy. has anyone done this, adding chocolate into the secondary fermentation? will it just harden and fall to the bottom or will it mix with the beer? should i use unsweetened chocolate or sweetened? or should i not do it at all?
I did a chocolate raspberry stout, and added 8 oz. of unsweetend chocolate to the boil for the full 60 minutes. I think I may wait until the last 10 minutes or so next time, as the raspberry flavor overshadowed it. Also, the hops that were used were way too bitter to really bring out a chocolate taste. I've reqorked the recipe, switching over to Centennials and Northern Brewer hops, and I'm going to try Comstock Cherry Pie filling w/ the chocolate for the last 10 minutes of the boil. That should make more of a sweet stout, but like Janx said, brew beers you like!

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 03-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
zprime
Recipes 

I'm working on a batch of NothernBrewer's Dark Cherry Stout. I sampled a little when I transfered it to the secondary and it was awesome.....but the cherry extract doesn't get added until bottling. I'm kind of torn now as to wether ofr not to add the extract, because at the time I transfered it it was the best homebrewed stout I've made yet.

I imagine that in the end I'll split the difference and do half with, half without. I like to try new things...but I also like good beer....typically the good beer wins over the try new things.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zprime
I'm working on a batch of NothernBrewer's Dark Cherry Stout. I sampled a little when I transfered it to the secondary and it was awesome.....but the cherry extract doesn't get added until bottling. I'm kind of torn now as to wether ofr not to add the extract, because at the time I transfered it it was the best homebrewed stout I've made yet.

I imagine that in the end I'll split the difference and do half with, half without. I like to try new things...but I also like good beer....typically the good beer wins over the try new things.
I've read a lot about the cherry extract. A lot of folks have commented on it saying that it makes it taste like marchino cherries. Someone on this board posted a cherry wheat recipe using the cherry pie filling. That gave me the idea to use blueberry filling in my most current batch. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know if using the sorta real thing is better than the extract...

Although, I used the apricot extract for a Magic Hat #9 clone, and nailed it perfectly.....

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 03-09-2005, 10:53 PM   #9
myndphaser
Recipes 

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a beer I like to drink regularly, and luckily for me there is a clone available in extract, mini-mash, or all-grain kits. Great chocolate aftertaste with that one. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a good chocolate beer.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=310

Check it out. And before anyone asks, no I'm not trying to make the most outlandish beers possible, but I really like the Young's Double Chocolate and will be starting my first batch of double chocolate stout in a couple of weeks. Would be sooner but I have to go out of town for a couple weeks.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #10
Hatzie
Recipes 

I have made the Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout from the book Beer Captured, it was the best stout I have ever made. I'm almost out and my friends will be disappointed if I don't make more. I looks like a 10 gal batch this time around.

Quick Reply