The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chipotle IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
murphyslaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Chipotle IPA?

This may be kind of weird, but that's sort of what I'm going for.

10lbs US 2-Row
1lb Cara-Pils
1lb Crystal 80
.75lb Victory
1 oz Chinook at 60
.75oz Chinook at 30
.5oz Willamette at 15
.5 Chinook at 5
.5 Willamette at 5
2 small Chipotle peppers, probably in the fermenter, maybe at 5 min.
Dry Hop w/.75oz Chinook and 1oz Willamette

SafAle-04

Mash at 155.

Should result with
OG 1.062
FG 1.016
SRM 12.4
IBU 60.6

I am thinking of entering this in my first competition if it comes out any good.

I'm looking to get the FG towards the higher end of the style guidelines, since that seems more fitting for the season. I'm shooting for a redish color and spicy aroma to go with the chipotle.

I'm leaning towards adding the pepper in the primary, after reading an article from BYO.

Alternatively, you could add the chilis to the wort during the last 5 minutes of the boil and continue to steep them in the wort for 15 minutes after shutting off the heat. This method will get the spicy flavor into the beer, like a late-boil flavor hop addition. Little aroma will remain, but this will contribute a solid, clean hot flavor if it's done with finesse.

A third possibility is to put the chilis into the primary fermenter as you pitch the yeast and leave them there until you rack to secondary. This will give you good heat, good pepper-as-fruit flavor, and enough chili aroma to balance the beer aromas. This is the method that adds the most to the beer's complexity. A fourth possibility is to add the chilis to the mash.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #2
Fid
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A chipotle IPA sounds awesome! Never brewed with peppers but I'd be curious to know how they effect the hop presence.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The guys on Basic Brewing radio did a video podcast about chili beers including a chipotle beer. Find the "September 30, 2009 - Chili Beer Experiment" video podcast episode.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
murphyslaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks CD, I'll definitely check that out.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Lariatbob
Recipes 

I did a Cave Creek jalapeno clone many years ago. Boiled a dozen jalaps, put the water in the boil pot along with the sparge. Boiled more fresh jalaps before bottling (just to sanitize) and put a pepper in each bottle. Actually came out very good.
Your chipotle sounds interesting. Will be watching for the outcome.
These days I am a habanero head. Don't know if I want to try that one. Would suck having a cold beer that's too hot to drink......

Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
murphyslaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm pleasantly surprised with how this beer turned out.

On the downside, it was supposed to be an IPA and there is almost no hop aroma or flavor. There's also very little head. There is some heat in the finish, which I think makes it hard to drink more than a glass or two in one sitting, but in smaller quantities i think it makes the beer more interesting.

Although the hops don't come through, the chipotle came through in a big way! The aroma is strong--sweet smoked chipotle pepper--and the flavor is the same. Its big and bold, like drinking a chipotle pepper. I've never tasted anything like it.

I also got that reddish color I was shooting for and it came out pretty clear. With the exception of the minimal head, its a great looking beer.

It was also really interesting to taste the beer as it developed. After one week in the keg, it had no chipotle flavor, but a lot of heat. I was really disappointed. A week later there was still no flavor, but much of the heat was gone. After three weeks there was suddenly BIG chipotle aroma and flavor.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
manortc
Recipes 

I really like this recipe. I've been planning to do a Chili IPA and have been wondering which peppers to use. I've was thinking about using around 10 serrano peppers. I also picked up a bag of about 10 dried New Mexico Peppers and was thinking about using these. I like the idea of the Chipotle peppers to give a bit of a smoky flavor to the beer. I will have to try to mess with the hops and see if I can get it a bit more prevalent.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
Fid
Recipes 

I feel like this beer would be pretty difficult to balance flavor wise... if you got the hop bitterness to shine through along with the heat of the peppers I feel like your mouth might just say I quit and force you to swallow your tongue as an act of revenge. What about focusing the hop schedule toward building a big IPA style aroma with a and have the spicy smokey chipotle come through in the flavor?

I'm just trying to imagine hopping this thing up to the 90+ ibu range and pairing that with the heat and my brain can't even fathom what that'd taste/feel like .

Old 03-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
murphyslaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I really like the how the beer came out, but the hops did not come through at all. I have renamed it "Chipotle Ale"haha. I did a taste test with Rogue Chiptole Ale and I thought this was much better.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:13 AM   #10
Fid
Recipes 

So this will fall into the "will brew again category" then? I'm definitely considering taking a stab at a chipotle ale but I'm debating whether I wanna keg it or bottle it... Does it seem like kicking the keg in a reasonable amount of time might be a bit of a challenge?

Or I guess, more directly, If you brewed it again would would you go for kegging again?

Quick Reply