Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chinook Munich smash

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
skyebrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Posts: 424
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Chinook Munich smash

Tapped my keg of Munich/Chinook smash a week ago and have found it has a very orange and mint flavor that I have never gotten before from chinook. Anyone else done this smash that picked up similar flavors?
The essentials:
Munich(10L) to 1.050 sg, mashed warm for body at 158
50 ibus (calculated per beersmith)
with a 60 min, 10 min, 5 min, flameout additions. dryhop with an 1.5 oz for last week.
Whitelabs wlp830 lager yeast @ 60 for 4 weeks.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay View Post
Its not terrible, but i get an armpit armoma and flavor.
skyebrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
BBKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canton, IL
Posts: 1,157
Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

I'm no pro as I'm just starting to think about a SMaSH recipe but 158 seems a tad high to me, even for body.

I've been considering Munich or MO for my SMaSH and was considering 155 and wondering if that was high. Is it possible thats the reason for the flavors you've detected?

I always thought Chinook was mildly fruity. I'm curious as to the mint flavor.

__________________
Black Sheep Brewery
Untamed and unapologetic
BBKing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
BigEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,329
Liked 112 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

What a waste of Munich malt. I am no fan of Chinook. Its' flavor is like a blend of pine sap and used kitty litter. While it has many fans it is probably best paired with a blander domestic pale malt to showcase its' unique attributes.

__________________
BigEd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #4
skyebrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Posts: 424
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

I doubt its the mash temp. One of my favorite breweries, Lagunitas mashes their ipa at 160°my and its mighty tasty.
forgot I added 5g gypsum to mash with plain ro water to make hops pop. Flavor good, just mix of malty orange seems "off". Seeing if anyone else got that

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay View Post
Its not terrible, but i get an armpit armoma and flavor.
skyebrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
skyebrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Posts: 424
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
What a waste of Munich malt. I am no fan of Chinook. Its' flavor is like a blend of pine sap and used kitty litter. While it has many fans it is probably best paired with a blander domestic pale malt to showcase its' unique attributes.
Kitty litter is a unique attribute?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay View Post
Its not terrible, but i get an armpit armoma and flavor.
skyebrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
BBKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canton, IL
Posts: 1,157
Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyebrewing View Post
I doubt its the mash temp. One of my favorite breweries, Lagunitas mashes their ipa at 160°my and its mighty tasty.
forgot I added 5g gypsum to mash with plain ro water to make hops pop. Flavor good, just mix of malty orange seems "off". Seeing if anyone else got that
I havent graduated to messing around with my water profile, so I wont pretend to speak intelligently about that whole deal (or anything at all!).
__________________
Black Sheep Brewery
Untamed and unapologetic
BBKing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 03:35 AM   #7
BigEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,329
Liked 112 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyebrewing View Post
Kitty litter is a unique attribute?
I was trying to be polite here, but there is no hop I am aware of with more cat piss profile than Chinook. That said it has a big following so by deduction cat piss is a very popular flavor.
__________________
BigEd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
pm5k00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cibolo, TX
Posts: 922
Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd

I was trying to be polite here, but there is no hop I am aware of with more cat piss profile than Chinook. That said it has a big following so by deduction cat piss is a very popular flavor.
It all subjective, different people like different things. I have never once got "cat piss" from chinook, always fruity (grapefruit) and piney, I have got it from simcoe on occassion tho.

To the OP, is it possible your fermentation temperature got higher than you thought? If so your yeast may have gave you the flavor you described.
__________________
Citra-Fest (Oktoberfest-IPA) - Cibolo Pale Ale - Imperial Belgian Wit - Forbidden Fruit IPA - Centennial Pale Ale
pm5k00 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 03:44 AM   #9
JimTheHick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Iowa city, Iowa
Posts: 560
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default

I don't get cat piss from chinook but then ive only had it with special B.

Meow.

__________________
JimTheHick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #10
BBKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canton, IL
Posts: 1,157
Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
It all subjective, different people like different things. I have never once got "cat piss" from chinook, always fruity (grapefruit) and piney, I have got it from simcoe on occassion tho.

To the OP, is it possible your fermentation temperature got higher than you thought? If so your yeast may have gave you the flavor you described.
That and 60 degrees is at least 5 degrees higher than the optimum temp
__________________
Black Sheep Brewery
Untamed and unapologetic
BBKing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you haven't tried a munich smash, you should Coastarine Recipes/Ingredients 22 09-19-2012 02:12 PM
Munich - Nugget SMaSH? bergman1118 Recipes/Ingredients 16 04-04-2012 01:43 PM
Thoughts on a Light Munich Smash? crypt0 Recipes/Ingredients 3 07-29-2011 02:49 AM
Munich SMaSH, what's the best hop? skeeordye11 Recipes/Ingredients 8 01-06-2011 11:20 PM
SMaSH Light Munich and... alcibiades Recipes/Ingredients 4 11-14-2009 10:11 PM