Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chinook + Cascade + ?? = ??(grapefruit?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chinook + Cascade + ?? = ??(grapefruit?)

I still want to do an ale with a grapefruit taste. I just bought 1 oz Chinook pellets and 4 oz Cascade (fresh) along with 4 oz Hallertau (fresh) when I was at LHBS on Friday.

I have 5 lb wheat DME and 5 lb extra light DME, along with some leftover Spalt and Perle hops. Planning to do another hefe (Franzi clone went REALLY fast), but would like to use the Irish Ale yeast I have harvested on this next non-hefe.
I have a variety of steeping grains in stock - mostly different LB roastings of Crystal & caramel malts.
Thoughts or suggested recipes?
Should I have gone for Amarillo?
I keep hearing various hops described as "grapefruit" but would really like to get some info from someone that knows more than I do about hop flavors...

Note: Can't make this one an IPA, too bitter for SWMBO -- maybe a blonde or cream ale style?

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

My 3CPA uses Columbus, Chinook, Cascades, Perl and Amarillo. It looked, smelled and tasted like grapefruit juice while fermenting. It's in the keg now and I'll be tasting it again next week.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Please please keep me posted. I want to do this (for me and for SWMBO) but need to keep the bitterness down to reasonable. Is that your own recipe and were you going after the grapefruit-ness on purpose?

Where does the graperfruit taste and smell come from - the chinook and cascade, or the combination of certain hops?

Old 04-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

I would stick with all cascade and centennial, and you can use amarillo too. My first IPA came out super citrusy and delicious.

8# Pale Malt Extract
2# Great Western 2-row Pale Malt
1# Crystal 15L

4oz Centennial whole aa 9.0%
4oz Cascade whole aa 6.6%
0.25oz Amarillo whole aa 9.8%
1oz Columbus pellets aa 15.6% (dry hop)

Re-pitched on Wyeast 1056 yeast cake from Magic Hat #9 (73-77% Attenuation)

-Steep grains at 160*F 30 min, remove grain bag and bring wort to boil.
-Add LME
-Add Amarillo, and 2 oz Centennial (0’)
-Add 2 oz Cascade (15’)
-Add 2 oz Centennial (30’)
-Add 2 oz Cascade (50’) and ¼ tsp irish moss
-Turn off at 60’, strain into cooling bucket, cool to 75*F, dump onto yeast cake, aerate.

Now that I am doing all grain, I am going to brew two more batches but convert to all grain. I plan on doing it soon for an IPA competition a local brew-pub is having, I am going to leave one normal, and the second I am going to rack onto a couple crushed grapefruits in the secondary. Both of the winners of the stout competition this winter had non-typical ingredients (Toasted Coconut Stout and an Oak Stoked Stout) and I think the judges might like the grapefruit addition (I blatantly stole the idea from someone on here...)

Old 04-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
My 3CPA uses Columbus, Chinook, Cascades, Perl and Amarillo. It looked, smelled and tasted like grapefruit juice while fermenting. It's in the keg now and I'll be tasting it again next week.
How much colombus did you use? was it for bittering or finishing? (had a bad couple experiences with that hop. I't a rough one. )

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 04-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Reidman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 1 Posts

I believe the citrusy grapefruit tones come from primarily cascade hops.

I pretty much drink nothing but IPA's and that seems to fit the hop profile of most of those.

Also centennial hops can create a mild citrusy flavor.

One of the IIPA's I absolutely love is Avery's Maharaja and it has a strong grapefruit aftertaste. It's hop bill is Magnum, Crystal, Centennial & Simcoe.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidman
One of the IIPA's I absolutely love is Avery's Maharaja and it has a strong grapefruit aftertaste. It's hop bill is Magnum, Crystal, Centennial & Simcoe.
huh, I definitely see the citrusy notes in the aroma, but I get much more of an earthy flavor in the taste.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
GerryL
Recipes 

Robin & I were in Miami last month and stopped at the Titanic Brewery. They had an ale with a strong grapefruit finish. We liked it and decided to attempt something similiar for our first homebrew in over 10 years, thinking it would be nice when warm weather arrives. We started with a Northern Brewers extra pale ale kit (grain version, described as citrusy) and added an extra 2 oz of fresh Cascade hops for the last 10 min. We bottled last week, and had a taste...so far so good! I can't wait to try it!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:06 AM   #9
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL
Robin & I were in Miami last month and stopped at the Titanic Brewery. They had an ale with a strong grapefruit finish. We liked it and decided to attempt something similiar for our first homebrew in over 10 years, thinking it would be nice when warm weather arrives. We started with a Northern Brewers extra pale ale kit (grain version, described as citrusy) and added an extra 2 oz of fresh Cascade hops for the last 10 min. We bottled last week, and had a taste...so far so good! I can't wait to try it!
Sounds nice. I had a similar experience, at the Porsmouth Brewery - I think it was their Cream Ale - wife loved it as well as I did, which is very unusual. Would love to know how close you came to that grapefruit flavor. Welcome back to homebrewing, too, by the way!!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #10
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried a sample of Maharaja yesterday. It seems to have what I call "grapefruit" flavor/aroma. For me it was more bitter than I would enjoy for a full pint, but I did enjoy the sample very much. Can you get that "grapefruit" without being over-the-top bitter, or is the bitterness part of what makes it seem like grapefruit, I wonder?

Quick Reply