Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All-Grain - Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #31
CSI
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
CSI - with exception to color, what will the difference be between those three batches using 45, 90, and 180?
So far we've only run two variations in the trial 001 (D-45) and 002 (D-90). The syrup variations create a unique flavor profile that's noticeable. D-45 so far has hit the Grande Reserve flavor profile very nicely with a balance of malty, fresh fruit, brown sugar/caramel, spice. The 002 tastes between a Westmalle doubel and Rochefort 8 with deep stone fruit flavors...mainly plums. We do have to see how they complete in bottle conditioning over the next 6+ months.

We haven't used D-180 in a Chimay Grande Reserve clone since even one pouch would make this ale much too dark.

I would guess D-180 with this base recipe would come out somewhere between a Wesvleteren 8 and a Rochefort 10 albeit lower gravity than the R10. To create a Chimay style double or quad with D-180 could be very interesting but that will be up to creative brewers. A craft brewery could easily be built around an ale this good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
Oophaga
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Getting ready to order the grains and hops for this recipe. How does this sound as hop adjustments due to alpha acids.

2.75 oz Saaz(3.2% AA) for 24.5 IBU
1.22 oz Hallertauer(4.5% AA) for 5.5 IBU

Thanks! Ordering one of each candi syrups so that I can see the flavor profiles with the Chimay yeast, plus I can't see anything wrong with having three different batches of Belgians around

Old 02-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #33
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oophaga View Post
Getting ready to order the grains and hops for this recipe. How does this sound as hop adjustments due to alpha acids.

2.75 oz Saaz(3.2% AA) for 24.5 IBU
1.22 oz Hallertauer(4.5% AA) for 5.5 IBU

Thanks! Ordering one of each candi syrups so that I can see the flavor profiles with the Chimay yeast, plus I can't see anything wrong with having three different batches of Belgians around
The IBU's match up. Absolutely agree. I would very much like to know how the D-180 performs in this ale. It might not be too much of stretch to formulate a Quad recipe from the Grande Reserve using D-180.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #34
Oophaga
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely keep you posted on it. I am planning on brewing the d-45 first, followed by the d-180. Question is should I keep all grains and hops consistent as kind of a control, or bump the grains and make things interesting. So many options!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #35
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely keep you posted on it. I am planning on brewing the d-45 first, followed by the d-180. Question is should I keep all grains and hops consistent as kind of a control, or bump the grains and make things interesting. So many options!
I think keeping the base recipe exact is a great idea for comparison.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #36
Oophaga
Recipes 

Just mashed in, hit just below 149 and after a quick yet thorough mixing settled at 148. Will report back when bottled and tasted with my numbers. Initial brew is going to be with D-45, followed by d-180 and d-90 respectively. I am looking forward to this one. The color of the wort was lighter than I expected, but than again that's not a proper way to tell SRM anyways. We will see once in secondary fr a better idea. SG a little high 1.079. I will also be keeping mash volume, sparge volume, and procedures as consistent as possible. As well as grain base. Only hop changes if necessary due to AA.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #37
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Just mashed in, hit just below 149 and after a quick yet thorough mixing settled at 148. Will report back when bottled and tasted with my numbers. Initial brew is going to be with D-45, followed by d-180 and d-90 respectively. I am looking forward to this one. The color of the wort was lighter than I expected, but than again that's not a proper way to tell SRM anyways. We will see once in secondary fr a better idea. SG a little high 1.079. I will also be keeping mash volume, sparge volume, and procedures as consistent as possible. As well as grain base. Only hop changes if necessary due to AA.
It looks like your OG hit at near perfection In primary we also thought the SRM was much too light. The suspended yeast gives it a much lighter appearance initially. This was the reason we stepped up to using D-90 in trial 002 before trial 001 had a chance to flocc. As 001 flocced we realized the color was a little light but the flavor was worth keepoing the 001 trial. I just tasted another of both at 6 weeks conditioning and they have that subtle understated Belgian malty-caramel of the actual Chimay Blue. Aging very nicely at 58-59F.

Looking forward to your experiment with darker syrups...

Old 02-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #38
Oophaga
Recipes 

I am glad to hear that! It's bubbling away at 63 fermenter temp right now(split between the numbers on this post and on the PDF from your site) will ramp along the way. Color was my only worry but not anymore. I would be very happy to send some. Ill do the d-180 once the first batch is carbing at room temp. I am already planning a quad with a blend of syrups. Obviously it'll be a whole. Now to hunt a source for more heavy belgian bottles.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #39
Oophaga
Recipes 

Day 12 of primary, down to 1.012 sg. Down from 1.018 on day 9. It is sitting at 68 degrees, wondering if its best to let it get down to 1.01 or get it off that yeast? Any thoughts? Color is definitely darker than before, yet still slightly lighter than I expected. We will see how much the color changes once cleared, still very cloudy in the primary.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #40
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Day 12 of primary, down to 1.012 sg. Down from 1.018 on day 9. It is sitting at 68 degrees, wondering if its best to let it get down to 1.01 or get it off that yeast? Any thoughts? Color is definitely darker than before, yet still slightly lighter than I expected. We will see how much the color changes once cleared, still very cloudy in the primary.
Definitely get it off the primary yeast. As John Palmer always says "autolysis is always lurking...". The suspended active yeast will finish it. The color will be lighter with D-45 ad very close with D-90

Quick Reply