New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chimay Grand Reserve Clone?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 26,577
Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRainH2o View Post
Can anyone dummy this down to an extract version for me? Thanks.
I ran across this extract/steeping grains version on midwest site; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/noble-trappist-ale.html
It also says that saving the yeast from a bottle of Chimay will "perfect this recipe". It's described as a regular strength trappist ale. The Chimay blue label is a trappist,but I think is stronger?...$32.49 for the kit including the candi sugar,etc.
**Dang,didn't look at the dates. Holy necropost!


__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Tarks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 258
Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Here's one I ran across a while back. I haven't brewed it yet, but I have all the ingredients for it and it's on my to do list.

OG: 1.087
FG: 1.015
SRM: 34 (amber with some red tones)
IBU: 27
ABV: 9.0%

For 5 gal recipe:

13.33lbs Belgian 2-row Pilsner Malt
8 oz Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
6 oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
4 oz Belgian Special B Malt
2.5 oz British Chocolate Malt

Single infusion mash at 149F for 90 minutes, 1.1-1.25 qts water/lb grain. Soften water by diluting with RO or distilled water. 3 parts distilled to 1 part tap recommended. You need a highly fermentable wort.

Hops:
1/2 oz Yakima Magnum - 60 minutes boil
1/2 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 15 minutes boil
1/4 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 2 min boil

Other Additions:
1.5 lbs Belgian Dark Candi Sugar - 60 minutes boil
1/8 tsp Grains of Paradise - 15 minutes boil
1 tsp Irish Moss - 15 minutes boil
1/8 tsp Grains of Paradise - 2 minutes boil

Ferment at 65F with WLP500 Trapist Ale yeast (or Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale). Primary for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon to secondary, prime beer in secondary with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 6 weeks) with:

1/2 cup corn sugar and 1/3 cup Belgian candi sugar that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water. Let prime at 70F for approximately 6 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature.

Love to try this one, but I've got some other beers on deck first.

Did you ever get around to brewing this? I'm thinking of giving it a go.


__________________
Tarks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Hackwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 625
Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr

I ran across this extract/steeping grains version on midwest site; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/noble-trappist-ale.html
**Dang,didn't look at the dates. Holy necropost!

haha. I was thinking that when I posted, but the recipe sounds great so had to push it up.
__________________

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Chocolate Stout, Lite Citra Ale and a Citra SmAsH.
In the Fridge - New Castle Brown Ale, Chimay and Milk Stout.

Hackwood is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
Hackwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 625
Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Default

Brewed this up last night. SG at 1.093 and the wort tasted AWESOME!

__________________

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Chocolate Stout, Lite Citra Ale and a Citra SmAsH.
In the Fridge - New Castle Brown Ale, Chimay and Milk Stout.

Hackwood is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #15
Hackwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 625
Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Default

Racked to secondary last night. S.G. was already at 1.005. Adding additional yeast tonight or tomorrow.

Tasted AWESOME!

__________________

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Chocolate Stout, Lite Citra Ale and a Citra SmAsH.
In the Fridge - New Castle Brown Ale, Chimay and Milk Stout.

Hackwood is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
Tarks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 258
Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

I'm 3 weeks into fermentation and I reached my FG without needing a second dose of yeast. Tastes great but my color is way off. My 1st brew that the color is off and my first brew using dark candy sugar so I'm thinking I'm not getting 275 SRM from the candy sugar.

I bought my sugar from Northern Brewer and quoted off their site, "Rated at 275°L; actual color contribution is lower." I'm guessing my color of my beer is in the 20 SRM range at best, which would mean I only got approx 75 SRM from the candy sugar. Anyone else experiencing the same results?

__________________
Tarks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 3,675
Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Ferment at 65F with WLP500 Trapist Ale yeast (or Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale).
the correct Wyeast equivalent is 1214.

1388 is the Duvel strain.
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Hop grower's comparison table

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
Oceantendency
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Oceantendency's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 274
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Here's one I ran across a while back. I haven't brewed it yet, but I have all the ingredients for it and it's on my to do list.

OG: 1.087
FG: 1.015
SRM: 34 (amber with some red tones)
IBU: 27
ABV: 9.0%

For 5 gal recipe:

13.33lbs Belgian 2-row Pilsner Malt
8 oz Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
6 oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
4 oz Belgian Special B Malt
2.5 oz British Chocolate Malt

Single infusion mash at 149F for 90 minutes, 1.1-1.25 qts water/lb grain. Soften water by diluting with RO or distilled water. 3 parts distilled to 1 part tap recommended. You need a highly fermentable wort.

Hops:
1/2 oz Yakima Magnum - 60 minutes boil
1/2 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 15 minutes boil
1/4 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 2 min boil

Other Additions:
1.5 lbs Belgian Dark Candi Sugar - 60 minutes boil
1/8 tsp Grains of Paradise - 15 minutes boil
1 tsp Irish Moss - 15 minutes boil
1/8 tsp Grains of Paradise - 2 minutes boil

Ferment at 65F with WLP500 Trapist Ale yeast (or Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale). Primary for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon to secondary, prime beer in secondary with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 6 weeks) with:

1/2 cup corn sugar and 1/3 cup Belgian candi sugar that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water. Let prime at 70F for approximately 6 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature.

Love to try this one, but I've got some other beers on deck first.
Problem with your recipe is that you need 1lb of Caravienne (better color match and lose the chocolate malt) and 1lb of Torrified Wheat for head retention. Also they use Nugget and Hallertau (hence why your IBU's are off base). You forgot to slowly ramp up your temp to 68* (WLP530 is a better match plus you still need a BIG starter). You should leave in primary til you hit your FG are atleast 90ish% of your target FG before transferring and repitching fresh yeast or wort then let it ride for atleast 6-8weeks before bottling, which to be authentic you should repitch yeast or Candied Syrup instead of corn sugar, and Cellar for 9 months. Grains of Paradise are not necessary but a good addition.
__________________

Primary: Empty (waiting for my new 7 gal Conical)
Secondary: Empty
bottle: Pale Blood moon Ale, Rosemary Blondie, Dunkelweisen bomb, O'Connor Red, Biere de Boucher, Honey Nelson Saison, Monk Tophula's Quad, Stout, T&C's Sweet Amber Ale, and Aigi Dubbley
On Tap: Pale Blood moon Ale, Rosemary Blondie, and O'Connor Red

Oceantendency is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #19
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 3,675
Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceantendency View Post
(WLP530 is a better match
wlp530 is westmalle.
wlp500 is the chimay strain.
http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

methinks the 500 is the way to go, if you're going to make a chimay clone.
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Hop grower's comparison table

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
Oceantendency
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Oceantendency's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 274
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Never had Westmalle, can't go wrong with either 530 or 500. I've had great luck with both.



__________________

Primary: Empty (waiting for my new 7 gal Conical)
Secondary: Empty
bottle: Pale Blood moon Ale, Rosemary Blondie, Dunkelweisen bomb, O'Connor Red, Biere de Boucher, Honey Nelson Saison, Monk Tophula's Quad, Stout, T&C's Sweet Amber Ale, and Aigi Dubbley
On Tap: Pale Blood moon Ale, Rosemary Blondie, and O'Connor Red

Oceantendency is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want: Goose Island Reserve Matilda Clone Synovia Recipes/Ingredients 5 07-29-2009 01:41 PM
Does Anybody Have A Recipe For St. Sebastian Grand Reserve? coryforsenate Recipes/Ingredients 1 07-21-2009 03:47 PM
Stille Nacht Reserve Clone, sorta landhoney Recipes/Ingredients 0 11-10-2007 05:00 AM
Henry Weinhard private reserve/clone dennc2 Recipes/Ingredients 0 01-01-2007 03:24 AM