The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chile Pepper Beer????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 02:32 AM   #1
reelseasick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chile Pepper Beer????

How do I do it? dry hop the peppers? does the flavor hit right away when you drink? what hops goes nice with that and can I get the hops flavor to hit before or after the chili flavor (not at the same time)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What type of beer are you thinking of making?

Depending on the beer style would/should dictate what type of pepper(s) you use and how much.

As an example I made a smoked habanero imperial porter and I used 3 habanero's soaked in rum (to help sanitize them) and let them soak in the secondary for 6 weeks.

Way too much and way too long!

I'd stick with putting them in the secondary (dry hop as you say) and taste it on a regular basis. Once it gets to the point of pepper taste/flavor/heat rack it off and keg/bottle it.

Also be aware that the flavor/taste may diminish over time but from what I can tell so far the heat does not.

Here is my Smoked Habanero Imperial Porter recipe

Also here are a couple beers that a brewpub in my hometown brew and that info might help you as well.

Amber Chili Ale

Green Chili Beer

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

BYO - Hot! Hot! Hot! Brewing with Chili Peppers

I added mine to the last 10 mins of the boil. It's a interesting sensation where you get the heat not not as much up front pepper flavor.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Brewpastor won a medal for a chili beer. Check out his recipe pulldown. It should be there.

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Old 02-22-2009, 01:24 AM   #5
reelseasick
Recipes 

Just had club comp (WHALES) and came in 3rd of 17. Bottle was a gusher and then, the chili popped out of the bottle like a happy monkey at the zoo. A youtube moment. I'll have to try to do it again and record.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
dboblitt
Recipes 

I just made a pale ale base and the put some jalapenos in the primary and then jalapenos and seranos in the secondary. It has a good chunk of heat with some pepper flavor too. I did roast all of the peppers before putting them in the fermentor too.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInSTL View Post
What type of beer are you thinking of making?

Depending on the beer style would/should dictate what type of pepper(s) you use and how much.

As an example I made a smoked habanero imperial porter and I used 3 habanero's soaked in rum (to help sanitize them) and let them soak in the secondary for 6 weeks.

Way too much and way too long!
That sounds dangerous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInSTL View Post
Also here are a couple beers that a brewpub in my hometown brew and that info might help you as well.

Amber Chili Ale

Green Chili Beer
That Amber Chili Ale sounds good. I've been wanting to make a chili pepper beer and I've been kicking around different ideas for the base beer. An amber sounds like a good base beer.

Keg 1: Eve's Downfall Pomegranate Cider
Keg 2: Empty :(

Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

::bump::

One of my brewing buddies belongs to a capsaicin club at work - some of the members are actually growing ghost pepper and scorpion pepper plants under the office fluorescents. After seeing a plug for Morebeer's chipotle candi syrup, i've been inspired to make a smoked scorpion pepper version for a raspberry saison (yes, i realize this is a VERY bad idea).

Has anyone looked into hop/chili/yeast combinations - e.g. which hops and which yeast highlight the flavor of the peppers the best? Some beers (and wines) are god awful with spicy food, so i'd imagine the same goes for mixing the wrong flavors into a beer. My instinct says more malt and less hops, but it'd be "cool" to get the bitterness and burn into the same beer.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
ploppythesausage
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That sounds like a plan - I made an extract stout with coffee and chocolate and 3-4 dried nagas for 4 gallons. Basically the main ingredients of my mole sauce. The beer is called stoutmaskreplica.
The chilis were added dried to the end of the boil.

The beer gave a nice chili-glow when drunk. Not that stingy chilli pain, but a warming sensation on your lips etc. The experience after a chilli burn then. Over time it became more chocolatey from the cocoa in the boil. The chilli heat never died. If I were to do it again I think i'd add some smoked malt to get a chipotle-esque flavour (but i find chipotles may be a bit to mild to get across in beer unless you use a stupid amount). Nice fruitiness from the nagas too. Man i'm going to have to make this again, my girlfriend loved it so it didn't last long!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppythesausage View Post
That sounds like a plan - I made an extract stout with coffee and chocolate and 3-4 dried nagas for 4 gallons. Basically the main ingredients of my mole sauce. The beer is called stoutmaskreplica.
The chilis were added dried to the end of the boil.

The beer gave a nice chili-glow when drunk. Not that stingy chilli pain, but a warming sensation on your lips etc. The experience after a chilli burn then. Over time it became more chocolatey from the cocoa in the boil. The chilli heat never died. If I were to do it again I think i'd add some smoked malt to get a chipotle-esque flavour (but i find chipotles may be a bit to mild to get across in beer unless you use a stupid amount). Nice fruitiness from the nagas too. Man i'm going to have to make this again, my girlfriend loved it so it didn't last long!
Haha, I love how you can find flavors other than "HOLY $H!T" from the worlds hottest pepper!

Quick Reply