New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cherry Wheatish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
wreckinball9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cherry Wheatish

I wanted to do an extract batch of a cherry wheat, but i have a ton of Light LME and no Wheat LME so I'm trying to come up with something that could pass as cherry wheat to my non expert friends. (in the sense that it would be cloudy, semi-sweet etc)
how do you think this would be:

6.5 lbs light LME
1 lb wheat malt (steeped, not mashed)
.5 lb 80l crystal malt
.5 oz galena 60 min
.5 oz willamette 20 min
safale US-05

rack onto a few jars of cherries (3-4 lbs) in secondary after 3 weeks.

suggestions? for hops on hand I have Galena, Willamette, and Cascade

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Last edited by wreckinball9; 11-29-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Don't know if there is an easy answer. If you're having to purchase the cherries I know 3-4lbs is not going to be cheap so why not just go all the way.

The cloudiness is from suspended yeast so you need to change from US 05. Your wheat malt really needs to be mashed. If your trying to cloud it up with starches from the wheat malt, not really the way to go about it.

That's just couple things I see.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
wreckinball9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ray View Post
. Your wheat malt really needs to be mashed. If your trying to cloud it up with starches from the wheat malt, not really the way to go about it.
yes i was trying to cloud it up with starches, why is that not the way to go? thanks for your help

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You'd basically be putting flour in your beer, it's not going to be a postive addition. It will also make it more proned to housing micro organisms.

If you have some darker malts to throw in you could go for a cherry porter or stout using what you have already mentioned. To stick with a cherry wheat I'd be telling you to change too many things and don't think that 's what you had in mind.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
wreckinball9
Recipes 

yeah that doesnt sound good. Instead maybe I'll just use a recipe for a #9 clone i have and substitute cherries for apricot extract etc.

good advice; I dont want flour in my beer. thanks

Quick Reply