Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cherry Ale Recipe Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
fellbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cherry Ale Recipe Advice

SWMBO asks for a Cherry beer. I have not made a fruit beer before (I am not all that crazy about them to be honest), but I thought I would try to pull one together for her. Here is what I came up with for a 5 gallon batch, let me know what you think...

9 lbs American 2-Row Pale malt
1.5 lbs Munich malt
1 lb Wheat malt

0.75 oz Northern Brewer - Whole leaf, 10.8% (60 min)
0.5 oz Willamette - Whole leaf, 5.6% (20 min)
0.5 oz Willamette - Whole leaf, 5.6% (10 min)

WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Planning on mashing around 152 for 60 min, collect 6.5 gal. wort.

I found a recipe calling for 10 lbs of crushed fresh tart cherries. Unfortunately, they are out of season, but I did find canned Oregon Fruits Red tart Cherries (only ingredients are cherries and water, no sugar or preservatives) so I thought I would use these. I cleaned out the store with 6 cans, and was planning on putting all of them in the primary, but I am not fully confident on the quantity.

Oh, I also got pectic enzyme because I read about it. I usually don't like using any additives, but thought it might be necessary here.

Calculated stats assume my typical 70% BHE and 72% AA for the yeast. I didn't factor in any additional sugar from the cherries...

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.016
IBU: 39

That probably seems like a high IBU number, but I was thinking I will need something to balance the sweetness of the cherries (although the cans do say they are tart cherries).

Let me know what you think. I also have Chinook and US Goldings in the freezer that are options in this brew.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Not a lot of advice to give, but I wouldn't necessarily be trying to counter the sweetness of the cherries with IBUs. The sugar in them will ferment and won't be sweet in the beer.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
Ooompa Loompa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Not a lot of advice to give, but I wouldn't necessarily be trying to counter the sweetness of the cherries with IBUs. The sugar in them will ferment and won't be sweet in the beer.
Agreed, I would reccomend bittering hops only, skip the willamette completely, the flavors from the hops will conflict with the cherries IMO. I've made a few fruit beers (Used cherries once, and raspberries twice). I always wait until initial fermentation is done, then toss in the fruit, and fermentation starts up again. I let it go for another 10 days or so then rack to secondary for about 2 weeks then bottle (or keg if you prefer). For the first 3 or 4 weeks the fruit flavor will seem sour. At 6 weeks the sourness will wear off and the flavor will be awesome. In my experience the peak time to drink is from 6 to 14 weeks, after that the fruit flavor starts to fade away. YMMV

Edit: In my cherry beer I only used 3 lbs and it didn't have enough cherry flavor. Not sure how much your cans weigh, but I'd shoot for 6 lbs minimum for a nice cherry flavor, and I can see where using 10 lbs would be very nice. Raspberries were a different story. I used 2 lbs in one batch (porter) and 3 lbs in another (brown ale), and both had very nice raspberry flavor.
Drinking: Super Shpadoinkle Blonde Ale

Last edited by Ooompa Loompa; 03-13-2010 at 06:08 AM.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
fellbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks a lot. I think I will take your advice. The cans are 14.5 oz. so I should have a little under 6 lbs.

Brewing today, about to fire up the strike water.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Primetime
Recipes 

sounds like your doing cherries in the snow recipe, I have one sitting in the sencondary right now. I used 10lbs of tart cherries like the recipe said at the flame out. I took my temp down to about 175. The recipe says to try and filter out the hops before you put t into the primary, which is hard to do completley. When i tasted the wort, it was awsome, very sweet and tart. When I taste a sample when transfering, even better. 1st beer i can say my wife is excited about. Taste alot like a cherry wine right now.

The recipe said to leave the cherries in for 5 days, then transfer off them to 2nd. thats from the joy of homebrewing. this is suppose to be one of his favorite recipes. good luck sure you will love this one

Quick Reply