Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cheerios as ingredient?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
spage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheerios as ingredient?

I am making a honey-nut brown ale shortly, and am currently tweaking the recipe. I am contemplating throwing a box of honey-nut cheerios into the mash. I am assuming it will convert, as it is simply starches, and there are a lot of simple sugars in it already.

Have any HBTers ever done something like this? Am I setting myself up for a stuck mash?

"Drinking tripel makes me see double and act single."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Search Post Apocalyptic Brewing. There was a challenge this past year or last year about brewing with ingredients only from the grocery store. This had a lot of info about using cereals and which ones could and could work. I wouldn't expect any honey nut flavor though.
Basic Brewing Radio/Video did a Frankenberry Mash and all color and flavor was stripped during mashing/fermenting. Beer turned out golden with 0 flavor from the cereal. I imagine the Cheerios would be the same.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

You might be better off using some honey malt and oats. I'm not sure I'd want all that extra stuff found in cereal in my mash.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Search Post Apocalyptic Brewing. There was a challenge this past year or last year about brewing with ingredients only from the grocery store. This had a lot of info about using cereals and which ones could and could work. I wouldn't expect any honey nut flavor though.
Basic Brewing Radio/Video did a Frankenberry Mash and all color and flavor was stripped during mashing/fermenting. Beer turned out golden with 0 flavor from the cereal. I imagine the Cheerios would be the same.
You mean this?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/gap-...rocery+Produce

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Thanks Revvy. Everyone welcome the Human HBT Database. Seriously I think you live to quote HBT

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quick, somebody better register lmrtfy.com (let me Revvy that for you...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 12-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
GeorgeH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If it validates your idea at all, I had been thinking of doing a Honey Nut Cheerio nut brown once I go all grain. So either "great minds think alike" or "fools seldom differ."

I was inspired by a guy in my homebrew club who made a Crunchberry Wheat. The flavors from the cereal came through but they weren't overwhelming. I think he used one box of Cap'n Crunchberry in his mash, but I'm not certain.

Primary: Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale
Secondary: Needs cleaning
Kegged: Graff, Web Interaction Wit, Edmund Fitz clone Porter, AHS's Pliny the Elder clone
Bottled: Holiday Ale

Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Out of curiosity, what would ascorbic acid, high fructose corn syrup, iron, and the other normal "slurry" coatings on a cereal do to your mash.

I used to work for General Mills in a cereal plant, and having some idea of the processing and ingredients that happen to make the cereal, I wouldn't think you would get a lot of good out of the cereal.

Short overview is the ingredients are mixed, extruded, par-baked then steam-popped in a puffing gun (imagine steam powered popcorn popper at hundreds of psi), dried to negligible moisture and coated with sugar and vitamins for flavor.

I guess to sum up, I wouldn't think that there would be any thing left to ferment after all that, except for the added sugar.

Just my 0.02....

Old 12-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
spage
Recipes 

Thank you all for your replies, they have been helpful. To sum thing up, I guess I'm not really looking for many fermentables out of the cheerios, I'm just looking for some of the flavor to carry through into the final product. From what I'm seeing, I might be best to mash them last and add them at the end of the boil? Or - here's a question for you Islagi - are cereals sanitized enough that I could add them in the fermenter?

"Drinking tripel makes me see double and act single."

Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #10
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, you do eat them direct out of the box with milk, right?

But seriously...After they are coated, they are dried again, and air conveyed to be packaged, in a grain dust environment.

I would assume that even though the grains are cooked, there is enough fugitive dust in the plant that a lacto infection is a very real possibility.

let us know, if you decide to go ahead. I would be interested to see how it turns out.

Quick Reply