Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cheating a sherry cask flavour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 04:11 AM   #1
eviljafar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Cheating a sherry cask flavour

I've had a couple of beers that seem to have a sherry flavour to them. I've read a little about oak chips and I'm wondering if anyone has used oak chips soaked in sherry in their beer.

If so, how did you use them? IE what quantities of chips and sherry, how long did you soak for, when and to what did you add them etc?

I'm not really into sherry so if I give this a try what should I look for as far as different styles, quality, brand etc?

Thanks, Jaf.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Look for a sherry that comes from Spain, it's country of origin and the only place where the wine made can truely be called sherry. Real sherry is expensive though, so either be prepared to pay a little more or you can just buy a regular sherry style wine.
Once you have the wine, pour some into a cup and add the oak cubes. Let them sit there for a couple of weeks and then pour the whole thing into a carboy and rack the beer onto the cubes and sherry. Let the beer sit for a week and taste it. If you like the flavor you can either bottle/keg or transfer into another carboy to let the beer condition. It will probably take more than a couple of weeks for the flavors to really develop and blend, but you should taste the beer every week to keep track of the progress.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Sherry oak sounds really good! I am posting so I can find this again later.

Quick Reply