The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cheapest recipes? (substitutes for malt/grain suggestions?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
jiminycrickets
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheapest recipes? (substitutes for malt/grain suggestions?)

So my friend of mine recently told me that his sister used to brew her own beer. But instead of using grains and malt and all the ingredients one would normally use to make beer, she used stuff that was already in her kitchen.

Maybe oatmeal or something like that for the grains. And instead of using malt could you just use sugar for the yeast to eat?
I want to try this just to see HOW cheap you could make a batch of beer and what it would tase like (could still be better than bud light yaknow). It doesn't have to taste great it just has to be cheap and ALRIGHT.

Anybody heard of people doing things like this or of things you could substitute in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Tizzomes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeast and apple juice done I guess, wouldn't you want to enjoy what your making?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are looking to save money then you are in the wrong hobby.

If you are looking for super cheap beer then just go to the distributor and buy the generic "beer" that is usally no more than $10-15 a 30 pack. You won't be able to make beer that is drinkable for cheaper than that with stuff you find laying around your kitchen.

Secondary 2: Rye IPA
Kegged: Watermelon Wheat, Habanero IPA
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Toasted Blonde, Raging Bitch Clone, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Buying bulk malt would still be cheaper than buying Quaker Oats.

I made a 5.5gal batch of the Centennial Blonde for around $9 (bulk hops, bulk grain, and Notty).

Old 04-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I buy some raw wheat locally. I toast it and use it at about 10% in my pale ales. I also get some flaked rye I use in my American rye recipe and polenta I cereal mash for CAPs. Still most of the grist comes from malt. And then there's my popcorn cream ale too.

The rye beer is cheapest being 42% base malt, 33% toasted raw wheat, 17% flaked rye, and 8% crystal. I use a cereal mash and one addition of Summit at 15 minutes for about 20 IBU.

Frankly some of this stuff is better than I get from the brew stores and cheaper too. I'm not out to make some crap pruno ****. I make quality craft beer.

Last edited by Malticulous; 04-06-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: popcorn

Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
dbals
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Not mush cheaper than this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/crea...eam-ale-66503/

I've brewed it twice now- not bad the first time and the second time I dry hopped it with 1 oz of Citra and it became a big crowd fav. with two cases done in a few hours at a small family party. Cost for the basic all-grain was about $14 (Used uncooked rice from the pantry) and $2.00 for the extra hops.

Damn cheap!

Quick Reply