Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Centennial Hop Choice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
reuliss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Trust me- pellets are a great idea.
Why do you prefer them? I get that the whole leaf hops absorb more wort. Other than (at least at my LHBS) the fact that there appear to be more varieties available in pellet form, what do you see as the biggest advantage or two? I guess I'm approaching this from the same school of approach that I do when cooking--go for the freshest, least processed ingredients possible. Pellet hops seem like using canned corn when there's fresh stuff on the cob available.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
reuliss
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Easier to use, better utilization, easier to store, often times less expensive, more international varieties available.

Yeah I can see why its been so difficult to convince yourself to make the jump.
Kinda snarky, no?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuliss View Post
Why do you prefer them? I get that the whole leaf hops absorb more wort. Other than (at least at my LHBS) the fact that there appear to be more varieties available in pellet form, what do you see as the biggest advantage or two? I guess I'm approaching this from the same school of approach that I do when cooking--go for the freshest, least processed ingredients possible. Pellet hops seem like using canned corn when there's fresh stuff on the cob available.
Your corn comparison is not really apt. Canned corn has been cooked suboptimally (for preservation and not for flavor/texture) and then pasteurized for long term storage at room temp, in water (a state corn was not meant to be stored in). Hops that are pelletized are exactly the same stuff as hole cone hops, they're basically just cut and pressed, entirely under a neutral gas, usually CO2 or N2, so no flavor or aroma is lost. Apart from the heat of compression, the hops are never heated or cooked in any way. A better comparison would be buying whole broccoli vs cut florettes.

Anyway, you already listed two big advantages that I don't think should be tossed aside lightly: price and availability.

The other big advantages are: better AA utilization from the same amount of hops, much longer storage times (last longer), take up less space, easier to weigh out, easier to dry hop in a carboy (especially large amounts), less wort absorption, among other things.

The only downside to pellet hops (and this is a pretty minimal one) that comes to mind is you have to use a bag or spider if (and only if) you use a plate chiller, and really, you kind of need to filter out leaf hops in the same way.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #14
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I still use a bag for both types of hops and I don't use a plate chiller. I get pounds and pounds of gunky crap back out of a brew that, otherwise, I'd have to wait and let it take up space in primary.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
chri5
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
I bought my Centennial from Hop Heaven via eBay. The seller contacted me before shipping and suggested I switch from pellet to leaf hops for them. He said his Centennial pellets are only good as rabbit food. Of course, I switched to leaf.

I wonder if you got the same bad pellets he was talking about?
And he still had them up for sale? I'll definitely street clear of that seller.

I've typically used pellet hops for the reasons already stated. They take up less space, give better utilization and are easier to measure. Having used both, I haven't seen any advantage to using whole leaf.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
AnthonyCB
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There has been some recent research that suggests that in addition to getting superior AA utilization you also get up to twice the effect from pellets as you would from whole cones for dry hopping. I would imagine that this is also the case for late additions.

This goes on top of the advantages that pellets have in terms of storage space, reduced oxygen exposure and ease of measuring.

Not to mention that frequently the lupulin glands tend to fall out of whole cones potentially yielding inconsistent levels of bittering.

Quick Reply