Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cayenne-Chocolate Stout... YIKES!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
spage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cayenne-Chocolate Stout... YIKES!

So, a local restaurant called the Surly Girl makes all kinds of Cayenne-Chocolate desserts and I find them delicious. I thought it would be great in a stout. Here's my 5 gallon recipe:

17# 2-Row
1# Wheat 2.2L
1# Roasted Non-Malted Barley 300L
1# Chocolate Malt 350L
1# Flaked Oats
Mash at 155 for 1hr
2oz Willamette (60 min)
1oz Cayenne Pepper (5 min)
8oz Cocoa (5 min)
1056 Yeast

Ended up at 9.1%, but OUCH!!! Way too much cayenne. I love hot foods, but this is hotter than a lot of the Thai food I love. Currently brewing another batch of chocolate stout to blend.

Has anyone used cayenne in their beers before? What quantity did you use? I was trying to make something that will be warming this winter. Unfortunately I just made 5 gallons of chocolate-blazin' sauce.

"Drinking tripel makes me see double and act single."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Winter warmers are usually just higher ABV beers... but you're taking it to the next level. I've never been a fan of hot spicy beers, but to each his own.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes, I do a Chocolate Mole Porter with a combination of my own chile powder (ancho, pasillo, dry chipotles, cayenne, mexican chocolate, cumin and cinnamon.) Finished with cayenne in the last 5 minutes of the boil...

It needed a lot of time to mellow the flavors, and to bring the heat down to a drinkable level (but as I have posted in the tap room, very recently...too many of them and it burns both coming in and going out...)

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/31/2009
Batch Size: 2.50 gal

Boil Size: 2.93 gal
Boil Time: 75 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.33 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 15.08 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.54 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.54 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.54 %
0.50 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.25 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (30 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (2 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
0.50 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2.1 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 1.96 %
2.5 disks Abualita Mexican Hot cocco + 1 tsp my chili powder in Mash tun. 1/4 disk @ 40 and 1/4 disk + 1 tsp Cayene pepper @ 2 minutes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-01-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I actually did an Imperial Stout with Cayenne peppers. I used 6 dried cayenne peppers and it was spicy but not over the top. I also added about 12 whole cloves.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
spage
Recipes 

Revvy, once again you are the man.

How long did it take for the heat to die down?

"Drinking tripel makes me see double and act single."

Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spage View Post
Revvy, once again you are the man.

Well at 8 months I thought it was drinkable enough to enter into a couple contests this summer....But like I drukkenly posted back in July,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Ok, you can take this to the memorial quotes page and post it for prostitution's or posteritie's sake...whatever...but if I ever mention wanting to put cayenne pepper in ANOTHER beer of mine, b1tch slap me please....remind me that I am over 40, and I ALREADY have issues with peeing, let alone peeing out a beer of mine that has cayenne pepper in it.....if my sex life weren't in the pisser anyway...and it having been over a year since "mr. happy" went spelunking in any caves....I would think I had visited one of those three dollar whores that the brothel token I use for coin tosses in vintage baseball from the 1800's would get me...with change coming back....

*owie*

It burns......
Having more that one still is perilous. Actually I have a friend, a woman in her 50's and wife of one of my buddys, who absolutely loves this beer....In fact I think I have on e bottle left...I should give it to her.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spage View Post
I can only speak to my experience but I made a chocolate chili porter that took several months for the flavors to really come together. It basically went from unbearable to really tasty over the last week of that several months.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I am planning on doing something similar, but I am going to just use the lower scoville peppers (pasillo and ancho) so I can get more pepper flavor, without going overboard on the heat.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I am planning on doing something similar, but I am going to just use the lower scoville peppers (pasillo and ancho) so I can get more pepper flavor, without going overboard on the heat.
You have two options with those, do a dry powder blend like I did for my chili powder, ground on a coffee or spice mill (if the chilies are dry already a little "dry roasting" in a pan on the stove is a nice trick.)

Or you can steep the dry peppers in hot water and make a tea, I do this alot when using those in cooking. But usually I steep them in chicken broth instead of water...but I don't think you want to use broth in your beer.

Next time I do the porter I am going to add much more abuelita chocolate to the recipe, both in the mash tun and in the boil.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You have two options with those, do a dry powder blend like I did for my chili powder, ground on a coffee or spice mill (if the chilies are dry already a little "dry roasting" in a pan on the stove is a nice trick.)

Or you can steep the dry peppers in hot water and make a tea, I do this alot when using those in cooking. But usually I steep them in chicken broth instead of water...but I don't think you want to use broth in your beer.

Next time I do the porter I am going to add much more abuelita chocolate to the recipe, both in the mash tun and in the boil.
Thanks for the tips, the tea sounds like a good plan from a control stand point, but I am just doing this to a 1 gallon portion, so I think I will probably just do a dry toast and toss them in secondary until it tastes "right." The alcohol in the beer should help to improve extraction of the capsaicin and other alcohol soluble compounds.

The best results I have had with chocolate is making a paste with cocoa powder and hot water to add to secondary. It seems to give the most rounded profile without having to deal with much foam killing fat.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply