Cascade IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenS

Reaction score
So I just recently brewed yoopers DFH 60 min clone and I got to thinking tonight after having a couple how great it would be to make my very own IPA for the house. Here's what I came up with and plugged into brewtarget.

5.5 gal post boil

8.5 lb 2row
2 lb vienna
.5 lb crystal 40L
.5 lb carapils

1 oz chinook(13%) 60 min
1 oz amarillo(8.6%) 30 min
.5 oz cascade(7%) 20 min
1 oz cascade(7%) 0 min
1.5 oz cascade(7%) dry hop

US-05
mash @ 152
75% efficiency
OG- 1.056 FG - 1.014 ABV 5.5 IBU 69 SRM 7.2

How do you guys think the amarillo will pair with the late addition cascades? I really love cascade aroma so I'd like to leave those in there.
Also, I'm questioning leaving the carapils in there but I love lots of head on American style beers. What do you think?

Very nice, very similar to a knock off harpoons ipa I'm doing some time next week; minus the carapils. I like how harpoon is crisp and hoppy, so I'm gonna mash at 150 and if it drops 2 degrees after a half hour thats ok.

So I just recently brewed yoopers DFH 60 min clone and I got to thinking tonight after having a couple how great it would be to make my very own IPA for the house. Here's what I came up with and plugged into brewtarget.

5.5 gal post boil

8.5 lb 2row
2 lb vienna
.5 lb crystal 40L
.5 lb carapils

1 oz chinook(13%) 60 min
1 oz amarillo(8.6%) 30 min
.5 oz cascade(7%) 20 min
1 oz cascade(7%) 0 min
1.5 oz cascade(7%) dry hop

US-05
mash @ 152
75% efficiency
OG- 1.056 FG - 1.014 ABV 5.5 IBU 69 SRM 7.2

How do you guys think the amarillo will pair with the late addition cascades? I really love cascade aroma so I'd like to leave those in there.
Also, I'm questioning leaving the carapils in there but I love lots of head on American style beers. What do you think?

Amarillo and cascade go great together. I use a half ounce of each for the late addition. Hoppy beers tend to have good head retention without carapils.

Back