Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cargill Malts GMO?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
schoellhorn82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 138
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cargill Malts GMO?

I've made the "mistake" of watching Food Inc. and they talk about Cargill Corn being GMO and the negative impacts on ones health. Anyone heard of anything negative about their barleys? Is there a better alternative that you have an opinion on and why? I'm trying my best to buy/eat locally grown organics and never thought to look into what I use to make my beer.

__________________
schoellhorn82 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
mooshimanx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: san diego, california
Posts: 215
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I've never actually seen that brand of malt anywhere.

You can often find organic base and crystal malts from Briess and Great Western, if you're looking for that.

__________________
mooshimanx is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,752
Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshimanx View Post
I've never actually seen that brand of malt anywhere.

You can often find organic base and crystal malts from Briess and Great Western, if you're looking for that.
Cargill's been around for a while, about to brew an IPA this wk-end in fact.

http://www.cargillfoods.com/na/en/pr...ers-base-malt/

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Warthaug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: , Ontario
Posts: 490
Liked 93 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

The supposid health "issues" of GMO crops are - in one word - a lie. GMO foods are among the most heavily foods in human history - with over 12,000 studies on safety performed to date - most by independent scientists, not the producing companies.

Of those >12K studies, only two ever claimed to find evidence of harm. The first of these was retraced ~4 years ago as it was a product of fraud (e.g. an anti-GMO lobby group made the whole thing up). The second was retracted last week as the authors didn't bother doing any statistical analysis - when done, the statistics showed that there was no harm by GMO; in fact, the female rats in the study fed GMO corn did better than the female rats given organic corn.

Ironically, the "organic" options has a long track record of serious health problems In particular, the use of organic fertilizer (compost and manure) is associated with high rates of food contamination with food-born pathogens (compared to conventional farming). Most of the cases you hear of where lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, etc are making people sick are due to so-called "organic" practices.

Bryan

__________________
Brewing: Black Mamba IPA
Drinking: SWIMBO's cider, Hail Brett-tania all-brett porter, African Queen Stout
Upcoming:
Wines: Petit Noir, Liebfraumilch, Shiraz

My blog: Recipes, Wild Yeasts, Yeast Farming, Yeast Exchange & More!
Warthaug is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
mooshimanx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: san diego, california
Posts: 215
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
Cargill's been around for a while, about to brew an IPA this wk-end in fact.

http://www.cargillfoods.com/na/en/pr...ers-base-malt/

MC
I'm aware of Cargill, I just never see them for sale around here. I didn't know if that's a regional issue or just because they don't sell in home brew scale (meaning, perhaps they don't 55 pound sacks, they sell by the truck)
__________________
mooshimanx is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 2,412
Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Default

there is no approved GMO Barley AFAIK

there was another discussion about this a year or so ago - that Vinne C from Russian River chimed in on and cleared up mis-information

there is a GMO discussion in the debate forum discussing personal views of GMO crops

__________________
terrapinj is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,752
Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshimanx View Post
I'm aware of Cargill, I just never see them for sale around here. I didn't know if that's a regional issue or just because they don't sell in home brew scale (meaning, perhaps they don't 55 pound sacks, they sell by the truck)
I finished the 50# sack this week-end. So yes, they do sell in 50lbs sack.On what scale, I don't know.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
brewguyver
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
brewguyver's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,107
Liked 130 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoellhorn82
I've made the "mistake" of watching Food Inc. and they talk about Cargill Corn being GMO and the negative impacts on ones health. Anyone heard of anything negative about their barleys? Is there a better alternative that you have an opinion on and why? I'm trying my best to buy/eat locally grown organics and never thought to look into what I use to make my beer.
From what I've read about malting, most (all?) barley is non-GMO. There isn't enough money in the business compared to soy, corn, etc.
__________________

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

brewguyver is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,419
Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

I believe Dingemans and Gambrinus are owned by Cargill. I may be wrong though.

__________________
The Fiesty(sic) Goat Brewery est. 2007 & Clusterfuggle Experimental Ales est. 2009
Primary: Saison, Berliner Weisse, sLambic I, sLambic II, IPA, 70/-
Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild
ArcaneXor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding Cargill Special Pale Malt bose301s Recipes/Ingredients 0 10-13-2012 07:39 AM
Cargill vs Dingemans Munich Kurisu Recipes/Ingredients 5 11-23-2011 11:25 PM
Anyone use Cargill malt? jma99 Recipes/Ingredients 1 11-02-2011 03:09 AM