Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > caramunich subsitute ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
Funkenjaeger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifelee
Thanks for the input guys. Not sure what to do. I like Professor Frinks idea of crystal and aromatic. I think I will just go to the HBS, taste a few crystal/aromatic malts, and pick one I like.
Despite what I said previously about Jamil indicating the caramunich was important, I agree that you shouldn't be afraid to substitute. If I were brewing it again and didn't have caramunich, I'd do just what you say - I think it'll make a great beer regardless.

Obviously Jamil knows his s**t when it comes to formulating recipes, but at the same time, since he's out winning contests left and right and has every kind of grains and ingredients available on hand all the time, he doesn't hesitate to use exactly the ingredients he thinks are best, even if they may be difficult for some people to get their hands on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I also find British "Medium" crystal malt that comes in around 55L. That's a good substitute for CaraMunich.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
TommyTbar
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Cara 45

Dingemans cara45 is CaraMunich. So if the LBS store doesn't have it maybe try subbing some Munich 10L with crystal 50/60. Mix and match to your liking or style.

"There's something inherrently pleasing to me about using flowers rather than green rabbit turds."

Quick Reply