Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Caramel Malt question. NOT "Caramel/Crystal"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
pm5k00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Caramel Malt question. NOT "Caramel/Crystal"

New Belgium list Caramel as a malt in their no longer produced beer 2 Below LINK . But They Also list C-80, which they list in all of their other beers that they use caramel/crystal malt in. 2 Below is the only one which they specifically mention Caramel. I did a quick Google search but didn't find anything helpful. So my question is, is anyone familiar with Caramel malt when not in reference to Caramel/Crystal Malts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
New Belgium list Caramel as a malt in their no longer produced beer 2 Below LINK . But They Also list C-80, which they list in all of their other beers that they use caramel/crystal malt in. 2 Below is the only one which they specifically mention Caramel. I did a quick Google search but didn't find anything helpful. So my question is, is anyone familiar with Caramel malt when not in reference to Caramel/Crystal Malts?
No. Because caramel malt = crystal malt.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

There is also cara 20 belgian style and carahell a german crystal malt,as well as cara red a medium German crystal malt
Cara gold- verylight british crystal malt
As well as caramunich and even crystal rye
Even:cara- light british crystal malt

Old 11-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

yes thank you jonmohno, I am aware of those plus a few others, but on the new belgium website they specifically list "caramel" so I dont know maybe it's just an error on their page. Also the ABV doesnt add up either.

here is the text from the 2 below page...

Pull on your wool socks and crack open a 2° Below Ale. This tasty winter warmer started life as a small batch beer brewed for the Al Johnson Uphill Downhill a telemark ski race in Crested Butte, Colorado. The Uphill Downhill celebrates the exploits of Al Johnson, letter carrier extraordinaire, who delivered mail by ski in the late 1800 s. Dry hopping during fermentation creates a floral nose with a hint of pepper and spicy, subtle undertones. 2° Below provides a bright, hoppy palate and a cheery warm afterglow.

Just the facts Ma'am...

ABV - 6.6%
IBU - 32
Calories - 200
Hops - Target, Sterling, Liberty
Malts - Pale, Munich, Caramel, C-80, Carapils, Victory
OG - 18.3
TG - 2.4

Old 11-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
teucer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Caramel malt and crystal malt are synonyms, except that some maltsters use the former term to describe the darker shades. I'm guessing their "caramel malt" is a darker shade of caramel/crystal malt, with more of a caramel-like flavor to it, such as C120.

Quick Reply