Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Caramel Macchiato Sout - Help with recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
dlm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Are you saying to steep some crystal malt (like this) in addition to the Caramel 80L? How much of each do you think I should use?

Up next: Bavarian Dunkle
Thinking about: Belgian Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Sorry for the confusion: caramel=crystal malt. They're just different names for the same thing.

I think that 12-16 oz of C-80 would be a good addition to up the caramel flavors.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
old_townie
Recipes 

Up in the recipe sticky, there is a listing of HBT contest winners. This is a Caramel Coffee Stout that is on my radar - you may want to check it out and compare it against your desired recipe.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/cara...-stout-141109/

Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
dlm3
Recipes 

I ordered the Sweet Stout kit and well as some others and equipment from Northern Brewer. One of the other kits that I'm planning on brewing soon is the Bourbon Barrel Porter (so that I can age it until next fall/winter). I'm using Wyeast 1728 Scottish yeast with the bourbon barrel and was wondering if I should re-pitch and use the same yeast with my caramel macchiato sweet stout as well, or if I should stick with the Nottingham? Any thoughts? I haven't decided for sure which brew I'm going to do first yet.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:14 AM   #15
dlm3
Recipes 

No thoughts about using 1728 with the Stout?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 AM   #16
Kula
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think Cubslover's recipe looks sound.

You can do a 5 lb mini-mash in a kettle on the stovetop.

Bring your water up to 165* and immediately throw in your grains, loose.

This should get your mash temp to about 153* If it's within 5 degrees don't mess with it, if it isn't, adjust heat until you're there, then don't mess with heat.

Stir every 5 to 10 minutes during mash. Let it go at least 45min.

Here's the semi-tough part, separating your grains from your sweet wort.

You can do it with some household kitchen equipment though. A fine mesh strainer and another deep steel strainer on top of the first works well.

Stack the strainers over another pot, dump in your mash. You will likely have to do this in thirds or fourths. Each time you dump a fresh bit of mash in let it drain, then sparge over the top with a quart of ~170* water. This will loosen up the sticky sugars and flow them into your brew pot. Taste the spent grains after sparging, if they taste real sweet, sparge a little more.

Once the grains are separated, you're ready to start your boil, and the rest is just like making an extract batch.

This isn't the smoothest way of mashing, but it's worked well for me in the past.

Other than that, use fresh ingredients and you should have a really tasty brew.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
dlm3
Recipes 

As far as adding the coffee and vanilla, should I just do that during bottling (add to bottling bucket then siphon beer on top), or should I secondary and give them a week or two together in the carboy before bottling?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
dlm3
Recipes 

I finally brewed this beer today. I had a few small issues. Originally I was planning on washing and repitching the yeast from my BBP, however I wasn't comfortable with how I harvested and didn't want to risk an infection so I just went with "Plan B", a pack of Nottingham.

Also, when pouring into my primary I spilled probably somewhere around half a liter of wort and didn't think about this when I was adding water to get up to 5 gallons. Per the markings on my primary, I'm actually a hair above 5 gallons. Interestingly, my OG measured at ~1.048, which is surprising since the kit says it should be 1.042 and I even lost a little wort. My only deviation from the kit/instructions was steeping the extra pound of 60L Crystal malt. Should steeping 1 extra pound of malt really increase the gravity that much?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #19
dlm3
Recipes 

I bottled this brew 9 days ago and sampled a few this past weekend. It's already carbed up nicely and I'm quite pleased with the result. However, I was hoping for a little more "creamy" mouth-feel. It really seems more like a porter than a Guinness Draught in this department. I used Muntons Kreamy-X for priming, any other tips for next time around to create a "creamier" stout?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #20
SnallygasterBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Flaked oats lend a distinctly silky mouthfeel that might give you the creaminess you're looking for. You could try .5 - 1 lb. of those. For your carbonation, maybe shoot for 2.4-2.5 volumes of CO2 -- it'll help it from getting to bubbly and adding a strong carbonic bite (it'll still taste and feel carb'd, but will be a bit smoother).

Quick Reply