Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Caramel Macchiato Sout - Help with recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
dlm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Caramel Macchiato Sout - Help with recipe

Hello all, I would like to attempt to brew a "Caramel Macchiato Stout" as my second beer. Hopefully I'm not being too ambitious, but that's the point of home brewing, right?!

For those not familiar, a caramel macchiato is a Starbucks drink with steamed milk, espresso, caramel and vanilla syrups, and some caramel sauce drizzled on top. My idea was to make a flavorful, but easy drinking "breakfast beer" with flavors reminiscent of a caramel macchiato. Being a breakfast beer I want to keep the ABV lower at around 4 to 4.5% and would also like to incorporate oatmeal for some extra body and sweetness. Due to my current skill and equipment, this needs to be an extract recipe with steeped grains. I have heard that there is difficulty brewing oatmeal with an extract (something about it needing to be mashed with grains to be absorbed properly?) Can I put oats and crushed grain in a grain bag and steep to get the desired effect?

The key flavors I'm looking for are:

• Espresso - Use a few shots of espresso (8 - 10 oz?). Added to secondary and beer racked onto it from primary.

• Oatmeal - How can I do this with an extract brew?

• Caramel - Can I steep crushed caramel malts? What varieties should I use to get the right caramel flavor?

• Milk - Was thinking I could just add 1 lbs of lactose towards the end of the boil to accomplish this.

• Vanilla - Could I use some fresh Madagascar vanilla beans, cut and scraped? How many should I use and when should they be added?

• I was also thinking about using Munton's KreamyX to help ensure I have a nice creamy head (to sort of emulate steamed/frothed milk.) Any experience with this product? Any reason not to go this route?
I have no idea what hops to use with this brew. I'm open to suggestions. I'm sure the espresso will go a long ways in providing some bitterness for this beer, but I don't know how to pair hops with this.

In the end, I would like this to be a smooth, balanced brew, not too sweet and not over-powering, but the espresso flavor should be distinctive. I'm thinking something that drinks about like Guinness, but obviously with a different flavor profile.

Any help coming up with a recipe for this would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
-D.L.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I would look for a solid milk or sweet stout recipe, and the doctor it up with the coffee and vanilla. I have no idea about the caramel.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
dlm3
Recipes 

How does this sound, start with the Northern Brewer Sweet Stout kit:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/sweet-stout-extract-kit-2.html

Add a pound of Briess Caramel 80L crushed malt during steeping.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/grain-malts/caramel-malts/briess-caramel-80l.html

Add a pot of strong brewed coffee to the secondary along with two cut and scraped Madagascar vanilla beans.

Use Munton's KreamyX instead of priming sugar at bottling.

I think that pretty much covers my bases except for the oatmeal, but that may have been a bit much anyway. I think this should be a good start.

My main remaining question is how much coffee should I use and how should I prepare it? Also, espresso or regular brewed coffee?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
dlm3
Recipes 

Also, I'm thinking about giving the Wyest 1945 NeoBritannia yeast a try with this, any thoughts?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
mlg5039
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm3 View Post
Also, I'm thinking about giving the Wyest 1945 NeoBritannia yeast a try with this, any thoughts?

I wouldn't. It throws off some english esters which are nice in bitters and such, but would not go well in what your cookin'.

I would suggest something more neutral that would not contribute and flavors to your stout.

It is not certain that everything is uncertain.

Primary:BCS Clone
Secondary:Oud bruin (2), Raspberry melomel
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Imperial Punkin
Kegged: Wild Ale, Dark Mild
Gallons to date 2012: 47

Old 02-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
dlm3
Recipes 

Thanks for the tip, the other option with the kit is Nottingham. From it's description I think it might work well, but I really don't have any experience to draw from. I could always opt not to include yeast with the kit then buy anything else along with my order instead. Any other suggestions, or stick with Nottingham?

Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Personally I would just brew the kit without adding the extra crystal.
I think a whole pot of coffee might be a bit much.
But have fun, brew what makes you happy.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
USMCYoder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you want to do the coffee aspect you may want to cold brew it with some beer, then add it back into the main batch.

Finish the beer, take a sample and bring it to a coffee specialty place. Explain what you are looking for and with the sample they will be able to match up a nice roast. Bring it home and cold brew it with some beer. Then mix it into the main batch to your taste preferences.

A friend of mine has done this twice with two different brews and it comes out fantastic.

Secondary:Air
Drinking/Drank: Pale Ale, Sweet Saison x3, Chocolate Milk Stout, Maple Porter, Hoppy Belgian IPA, Belgian Wit, Blood Orange Wit(3rd NHC), Belgian Quad x2

My Keezer Build aka "The Monstrosity"

Old 02-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
Cubslover
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Try doing a partial mash...
While you can steep oats to get some of the benefits, they need mashed with a base malt to release any of their diatastic powers and get the most from them.

I do a minimash now with all the grains, usually 4-5lbs worth, and use 4-6lbs of malt extract to bring up the weight.

To answer your questions, I'd choose the following:

1lb - Caramel/Crystal malt 50-60 (Medium)
8+oz Chocolate malt (gives a bit of a coffee flavor)
6oz Black patent malt (gives the color, plus the roasty, coffee flavor)
12oz - 1lb Lactose
2lbs - American 2 row pale
1-1.25lbs Quick oats.
6lbs Amber LME
12-16oz French Pressed French Roast (STRONG) at flameout.

.75oz - Nugget (12%AA) - 60
.5oz East Kent Golding (5%AA) - 30
.5oz East Kent Golding - 15

A few vanilla beans, cut and scraped and put in the secondary for a couple weeks.

My calculations show
OG 1.065
FG 1.016
38 SRM
35 IBU
6.5% ABV

You may look at different hops...

"Some people are still alive only because it's illegal to kill them."

"To Clone" List:
- Sammy Smith's Winter Welcome
- Southern Tier Choklat Stout
- Rogue Dead Guy Ale
- Three Floyd's Gumballhead

Old 02-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Since you have so many flavors going on, I would just use Nottingham yeast--It's cheap and neutral. I would just go with the NB sweet stout kit to get a good base recipe. Add yourself some crystal and you should be in business with the rest of your additions IMO.

Quick Reply