Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Caramel cream ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #931
humdawg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Brewing this myself right now, using 3/4 pound of Caramel 40L and 3/4 of Caramel 60L, will also be using 2 vanilla beans in the secondary instead of the extract. I'm going to slit the beans open with a razor blade and scrape the guts out and use that though, I've heard the vanilla bean husk imparts really bad flavors to the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #932
chriscorapi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

This sounds like it will be delicious, me and my father are currently brewing a simple Sam Adams like blend. He used to brew when he was younger and now its our father's day project to get back into it. This is definitely must do!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #933
sathrovarr
Recipes 

I brewed it and just have tasted it:
The beer came out much more bitter than I had thought it will be, I thought it will be sweeter.
Also the I don't get any of the vanilla taste/aroma from my brew. Is it because I've used pure vanilla extract (Nielsen-Massey)?
I think that if I will brew it again I will lower the hops and raise the vanilla and lactose. I wanted it to be a very lite and drinkable beer that all my friends will like (also the girls that like sweet stuff) and what I got is far from it.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #934
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathrovarr
I brewed it and just have tasted it:
The beer came out much more bitter than I had thought it will be, I thought it will be sweeter.
Also the I don't get any of the vanilla taste/aroma from my brew. Is it because I've used pure vanilla extract (Nielsen-Massey)?
I think that if I will brew it again I will lower the hops and raise the vanilla and lactose. I wanted it to be a very lite and drinkable beer that all my friends will like (also the girls that like sweet stuff) and what I got is far from it.
Let's see, you want a very lite-sweet beer. Umm. Not possible. Kinda like saying, I like very dry-sweet wines. Vanilla extract will work, but not as good as vanilla bean.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 07-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #935
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I don't understand how a thread for caramel / vanilla cream ale can have so many posts.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #936
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTipsy View Post
I don't understand how a thread for caramel / vanilla cream ale can have so many posts.

Me neither.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

People Like This 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #937
Bock_Lesnar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm glad to see Cheese is still around and still on this thread.

So I bottled mine tonight after a few weeks fermenting. I took a couple of gravity readings over that time and, as always, tasted each, and each time I've been nervous about what I tasted. Incredibly sweet but bizarrely bitter at the same time. Almost effervescent too, which added to the sharp taste. I'm not overly confident on this one, though I keep seeing people saying this one does well in the bottle over time. I've boxed it all up and stashed it, hopefully to forget about it until it "comes of age".

Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #938
Bock_Lesnar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't want to be negative, but thought I'd post here in case anyone manages to get to the last page of this thread to say that this is the only beer I've ever thrown out.

I've tried a bottle every week since bottling and at no point has it got any better. Brewed 100% to recipe, no issues with sanitisation and fermentation carefully managed so it tastes exactly as it should.

I would warn homebrewers that this is a massively polarising taste and, to this day, I have only met two people who have enjoyed this brew. Disappointing, considering the cost involved in brewing this one.

Oh well, you live and learn. Obviously there are a lot of people that really enjoy this, so it's obviously not a bad beer - props to Cheesefood for that. I will simply say that I wanted to love this beer but learned pretty quickly that I never would.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #939
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 44

So I've read through almost all the thread (I think, anyway), and I'm really interested, except for one thing...

SWMBO is terribly lactose intolerant. For the safety of everyone in the house, hoping to find a decent replacement. I'm told Maltodextrine will give the mouth feel, with a small amount of stevia or splenda for the sweetness...

What's a good rule of thumb for conversion? How much lactose = how much malto/stevia/splenda?

It's my second brew, and the idea of caramel+vanilla sounds awesome, especially in a crowd-pleasing beer, as I'm still developing a taste for the more intense, hoppy, darker, etc.

I may end up doing a full fermentation, then as I hit bottling, rack half of it off into another bucket, and use the lactose, and the other half, use whatever combination of malto/splenda/stevia, so there are 'fart friendly' beers around for those who can't deal with the milk.

Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #940
AlphaFISH
Recipes 

Just read this recipe and i'm sold. I need a little help with priming though. Can you review your priming procedure for me? How did the carbonation turn out when it was all said and done?

Quick Reply