New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Caramel cream ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #101
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifast1
Add me to the ever-growing list of ppl who've brewed this one. 3 days in the primary and the kreusen has already hit the airlock in my 6.5-gal 'Ale Pail' twice. "Boom-Boom" is right!

Was anyone else surprised at how expensive a little bottle of vanilla is?? I usually buy it once every blue moon, but 6 ounces was as much as the rest of my ingredients put together!
Hey Skifast, good to see more Illinoians on the board.

I bought a big bottle of real Bourbon Vanilla extract from Costco for $7.95. I can't remember how much is in there, but it's a lot.

I ended up putting my racking hose into the hole for the airlock. Fit perfectly. Put the other end in a glass of water and it bubbled for a few days.

I let it go about 3 months in the primary. I don't think you need to let it go that long, but it didn't hurt my flavor or clarity.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #102
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Hey Skifast, good to see more Illinoians on the board.
Hi Cheese - I'm guessing you're a regular at the Brew & Grow shop! That's a dangerous place for me. (love the avatars, btw)

Quote:
I bought a big bottle of real Bourbon Vanilla extract from Costco for $7.95. I can't remember how much is in there, but it's a lot.
Holy buckets that's cheap - I think the 2oz "Jewel" brand vanilla was $7. Now if only Costco stocked DME....

Quote:
I let it go about 3 months in the primary. I don't think you need to let it go that long, but it didn't hurt my flavor or clarity.
I'm trying to figure out how you managed to let something that good sit for so long. My Wee Heavy really should be left alone for a few months, but the money's against it lasting that long.

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Old 05-16-2006, 11:35 PM   #103
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts

I brewed an AG version this today, and it tasted really good going into the primary. I hope it turns out as good as all the reports. I only used 2# of wheat malt this time. Maybe next time I'll go for 3#, depending on how creamy it turns out.

BTW - since there was some discussion a few posts ago about OG, mine was 1.052 (no lactose added yet), so I expect this should be 5 - 5.5% when it's done.

I should also note that for some reason, this was probably my easiest brew session ever. Maybe it's because I was making beer when I'm usually at work! Today was a good day!

Old 05-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #104
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
I ended up putting my racking hose into the hole for the airlock. Fit perfectly. Put the other end in a glass of water and it bubbled for a few days.
After overflowing my third airlock in as many days, I finally wised up and set up the tube & water glass - you're right, it fits just perfect.

I can't believe how much activity this batch is showing; does the vanilla provide more sugars for the yeast to feast on?

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Old 05-21-2006, 04:37 AM   #105
Brew_Meister
Recipes 

Well I finally got around to brewing this on the 14th of May. I transferred it to secondary today and it does taste pretty good so far. I will definately be adding the lactose and vanilla additions at bottling to get that extra vanilla and sweetness. I am excited for this brew to finish so that I can see what all the hype is about. Just to throw it out there my OG was about 1.052 and the Gravity at secondary was 1.012, does this sound about right? Also, since the recipe uses wheat DME, I am assuming that it will end up a little cloudy???

Old 06-07-2006, 04:24 AM   #106
fa1321tx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used LME for my batch it came out at 5.8% alc. My og 1.045 fg 1.001 tasted good when I bottled it.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #107
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

out of all my brews... this one gets the most approvals from people... everyone loves it...!!!!

Old 06-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #108
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

We had some friends over the other night and my buddy offered his wife a drink of it. She took it from him and wouldn't give it back! ...and she doesn't even really like beer! Then she had a glass of my homemade apple wine and took the rest of the bottle home with her. Made me feel good anyway.

Now my take on this beer - I like it and think it tastes nice, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite, or even that I would want to drink it every day. But it is different and it definately tastes good.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #109
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa1321tx
I used LME for my batch it came out at 5.8% alc. My og 1.045 fg 1.001 tasted good when I bottled it.
Your batch fermented out much more than mine did for some reason. I think mine was still arount 1.012 or so when I bottled it. What kind of yeast did you use?

Old 06-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #110
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

mine sure is taking a long time to carb. sure does taste good though

Quick Reply