Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > CaraFoam and kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Arneba28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default CaraFoam and kegging

Not sure if this needs to go here or in kegging. But a question for you none the less. When making a beer that you are going to keg but are still considering head retention. Do you cut down the amount of carafoam to conpensate for any foaming from force carbonation? just a thought. Tell me if I am completely out of my mind on this but I use carafoam in most my beers and was wondering about this. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
Cugel
Recipes 

When you say carafoam do you refer to the foam-contol drops that has another name I cannot quite remember - Ferms Tabs? Ferm something or Something Ferm?

If so I think that the head (comprised of CO2 bubbles) is much different from the foam produced (mostly O2 and traces of other gases being boiled off from the wort). Commercial breweries use the stuff so you should have nothing to worry about. I get nice heads on my Belgians and hefes.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
Not sure if this needs to go here or in kegging. But a question for you none the less. When making a beer that you are going to keg but are still considering head retention. Do you cut down the amount of carafoam to conpensate for any foaming from force carbonation? Thanks

No. These are two different issues. If your kegged beer is properly carbonated whether forced or primed and your system is balanced with serving line diameter, length and pressure, foaming should not be a problem.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:10 AM   #4
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
No. These are two different issues. If your kegged beer is properly carbonated whether forced or primed and your system is balanced with serving line diameter, length and pressure, foaming should not be a problem.
Thank you. I was just wondering if it was doing it double head duty so to speak. thanks

Old 05-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
When you say carafoam do you refer to the foam-contol drops that has another name I cannot quite remember - Ferms Tabs? Ferm something or Something Ferm?
Nope. Fermcap is for krausen control. He's referring to Weyermann Cara-Foam, a trademark name for Cara-Pils / Dextrine malt / etc.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Quick Reply