Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cara-pils flavor contribution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Pete08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cara-pils flavor contribution

Is there any reason, flavor-wise, not to substitute cara-pils for malto-dextrin? If not, what would a be a reasonable amount to use if the original recipe called for 8oz of m-d? It is going in a robust porter, btw.

I used to be dyslexic, but am KO now!!

Enola Gay--Far East Tour Summer '45--Coming to Your Town, Limited Engagement--Get Your Seats Now!!--They'll Be Gone in a Flash!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 02:15 AM   #2
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Nope. CaraPils - otherwise known as Dextrine Malt [tm] - can be directly substituted for malto-dextrin in all-grain grists.

I recommend extract-and-steep brewers use malto-dextrin instead of CaraPils, because a steep will only provide ~25% of the stuff you want out of CaraPils and malto-dextrin gives you 100%.

If you're an extract-and-steep brewer, stick with the m/d or up the CaraPils to a full pound to 1.5 lbs.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 12-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
Moonpile

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ3X View Post
Nope. CaraPils - otherwise known as Dextrine Malt [tm] - can be directly substituted for malto-dextrin in all-grain grists.

I recommend extract-and-steep brewers use malto-dextrin instead of CaraPils, because a steep will only provide ~25% of the stuff you want out of CaraPils and malto-dextrin gives you 100%.

If you're an extract-and-steep brewer, stick with the m/d or up the CaraPils to a full pound to 1.5 lbs.

Cheers,

Bob
So is CaraPils partly unconverted or something? I always thought it was made just like Crystal but was essentially Crystal 1.5L, meaning that it imparts some fermentable and unfermentables, maybe a hint of flavor, and that like cystal it will improve head retention.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpile View Post
So is CaraPils partly unconverted or something? I always thought it was made just like Crystal but was essentially Crystal 1.5L, meaning that it imparts some fermentable and unfermentables, maybe a hint of flavor, and that like cystal it will improve head retention.
CaraPils and similar malts have some crystal characteristics but they are not entirely crystal malts. Some if not all have unconverted starches which is why this malt should be mashed. The Weyermann version, CaraFoam, even has some diastatic enzyme content IIRC.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Cheers,

Bob
I'm AG, so would I replace 8 oz of m-d with 8 oz of cara-pils?

Enola Gay--Far East Tour Summer '45--Coming to Your Town, Limited Engagement--Get Your Seats Now!!--They'll Be Gone in a Flash!!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
Bob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete08 View Post
I'm AG, so would I replace 8 oz of m-d with 8 oz of cara-pils?
I'm not sure where, but I read this somewhere:

"CaraPils - otherwise known as Dextrine Malt [tm] - can be directly substituted for malto-dextrin in all-grain grists. "

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub

Old 12-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So if one were shooting for over-the-top foam stability/head retention up to what percentage of the grist could be CaraPils? BS thinks that number is 20%, AHS says 1-5% is effective. If I actually used 20% CaraPils and mashed at 158F, and bottle conditioned, could I produce a beer which retained foam for 1 minute, 5 minutes, 20 minutes? I'm too new to AG to know what the upper range is. The best I've done so far is around 2 minutes but every now and again I'll see a post which makes reference to foam lasting 30 minutes. I drink beer somewhat slowly and I would love to have foam all the way to the bottom of the pint.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 12-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I'm not sure where, but I read this somewhere:

"CaraPils - otherwise known as Dextrine Malt [tm] - can be directly substituted for malto-dextrin in all-grain grists. "

Bob
I'll just shoot for 1:1. I'm mainly looking for mouthfeel. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Malto Dextrin is much more concentrated than what you will get from Carapils. I would say use about a pound of Carapils to replace 4 oz. of Malto Dextrin.

Forrest

Old 12-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
Bob
Recipes 

Really?! Fair enough! I've used it 1:1 before with no problems, but you, Forrest, probably have considerably more experience with it.

Cheers!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub

Quick Reply