New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Captain Lawrence Liquid Gold?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
bennettk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Captain Lawrence Liquid Gold?

I've seen a few other Captain Lawrence clones around here (xtra gold and smoked porter), but none for their flagship Liquid Gold.

Captain Lawrence's site says it's brewed with German Pilsner & Vienna grain and Crystal, Sterling, and Cascade hops, and Beer Advocate's take on the beer pins it as a Belgian Pale Ale at 6.0% ABV.

My two best friends from home are coming to town in just over a month- we all grew up a stone's throw from where the Captain Lawrence brewery is now located but have now dispersed and all live in states where their beers aren't available, so I think attempting a clone of this for their visit could be a nice touch. Any suggestions on a base recipe I can adapt with this grain combination? I'm guessing some sort of Belgian yeast, judging by the BA profile. (I unfortunately haven't had any since my last trip back home 6 months or so ago, so this will be sort of by memory.)

rock on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
bennettk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

via a friend, on facebook:

Assuming 5 gallons batch, 3 gallon boil

5lb German Pilsner
4lb Vienna
(seems like a lot to me but it is what it calculates to get the OG on captain lawerence's website, the calculator might be assuming all grain)
2oz crystal hops
1.5 oz Sterling (both put in for last half hour of boil)
1 oz Cascade (aroma, last minute of boil)
5oz priming sugar
WLP515 Antwerp Ale Yeast

...looks legit to me. i divided by 5 since i'm doing a 1-gal batch, and upped the amount of grain a bit to bring the ABV to 6.1% and will try this weekend.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
DragonOrta
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are we to assume that you're brewing extract? Since you don't make mention of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply