Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Candy Sugar The Right Way (hint we've been doing it wrong)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
ryane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Candy Sugar The Right Way (hint we've been doing it wrong)

Im not going to get too far into this here (too much to retype + pics + tables that i really dont know how to add to a post here on HBtalk), but I will say that the way we (myself included) have all been doing candy sugar isnt the right way. Well that is if you want something more like D2, if you like burnt sugar keep doing it the same old way.

Normally I wouldn't start a thread about a blog post I've done but I think this is a very important topic and could really help out a lot of homebrewers make better beers. If I've got you at all intrigued click the link below to continue to read on (be prepared for a long read!) + tables and pics

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2012/0...weve-been.html

I'm interested in what people think, so read up and lets get the discussion going!!

Bithead Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
manoaction
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow, that is really detailed. Congrats on being thorough.

I think I'll keep buying mine though.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

You need to fix the link. It is broken.

Also, I appreciate the effort you went to here, but I think more important than "cooking time" which can vary quite dramatically due to atmospheric and equipment conditions, it would be useful to have accurate temperature readings of the solution. Also, "1 cup sugar" means different things to different people. Weight would be more consistent.

All that aside, I think the details you put together will really help with homemade candy syrup. I know I'm going to spend some time working on this pretty soon, and I appreciate all the work you've done to help guide others along a better path.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's fixed now. Good article, thanks!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Also, I appreciate the effort you went to here, but I think more important than "cooking time" which can vary quite dramatically due to atmospheric and equipment conditions, it would be useful to have accurate temperature readings of the solution. Also, "1 cup sugar" means different things to different people. Weight would be more consistent.
I knew the temp issue would come up, but when I did this, I went about it in a manner that I thought most people could just do with minimal equipment. I have a candy thermometer, but I dont think most people do

To reemphasize what I said at the bottom of the post, flavor development will be specific to your stove, pot, etc, so you should do a small test batch (just like I outlined) before you go all in. I should also mention that when increasing the batch size you should increase all ingredients EXCEPT the Lime

Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Along those same lines, this is how I have been doing it and it seems to work quite well:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-l...trient-114837/

Old 02-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
Along those same lines, this is how I have been doing it and it seems to work quite well:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-l...trient-114837/
Not to disparage the way your going at it, but this seems to be the way we have always done it. Ive tried it by the method in the link, and, to me at least, the underlying flavor throughout that type of syrup is burnt sugar ala creme brulee.

When using lime, none of those flavors develop. Instead intense chocolate flavors (like a tootsie roll) seem to dominate. Raising the pH of the sugar syrup also corresponds more with what is done in beet sugar processing as well.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
dmckean44
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That was very informative. It seems we just need to think up a source of amino acids that could easily be added.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post
That was very informative. It seems we just need to think up a source of amino acids that could easily be added.
Yah, I think one of the things that I will do in the near future is retry this using an unrefined sugar. Hopefully all the extra stuff in there should increased the depth of flavor

Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #10
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Looking at your picture of the varying methods, it appears that the DAP ones are burnt. I have made Snickasaurusrex's a few times and had a problem the first time, only because the candy thermometer was 50F off the real temperature. After using a decent thermometer I have no problems getting fantastic flavor from the DAP method. I have had no problem making clear, light, amber, deep amber or sugar #5 (no burnt sugar). I also made sure to keep the heat at med-low to medium.

And I am not trying to say the DAP method is right, just your results greatly differ from mine and the pictures in that thread.

Quick Reply