Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Candi Sugar v. table sugar....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
EamusCatuli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Candi Sugar v. table sugar....

I want to brew a dubbel next, but im not really sure how much sugar I should think about adding. That, and im not sure whether or not to use the Dark Candi Sugar or just regular old table sugar?

Any help would be awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
mrkristofo

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Use amber candi sugar (invert sugar) with the dubbel. Usually around 1lb is what the recipes call for, though 2lbs isn't unheard of.

You can make the invert sugar easily enough. It's been discussed around here a few times before.

Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while

Old 07-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Take this for what it's worth, but I was listening to Jamil's show on Belgian Golden Strong Ale, and he launched into a diatribe (as he's prone to do) about simple sugars. He said that people worry way too much about sugars, and that you can use simple table sugar for up to about 25% of your total carbs and not have any problems. He said that spending the $$ on candi sugar or spending the time making invert sugar is just not worth it...and he also said that he was chatting with either Sam Calagione or Randy Mosher (can't remember which) and they said, and I paraphrase Jamil's paraphrasing, "look, don't waste your damn money or your time. I'll drive out to your house and deliver table sugar to your house, just please don't bother with anything else!"

So like I said, take that for what you will, but I trust Jamil and trust Calagione/Mosher. Oddly enough, Jamil's book has several recipes that call for candi sugar. I wonder if he just changed his ways since the book was published...?

Me? I'll either use table sugar or corn sugar for clean fermentables, or I'll use sucanat or molasses if I want flavor too.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm with Evan!. I wouldn't waste my time with anything but plain old table sugar...unless it was getting toward that 25% mark...which would be like what 3 or 4 #?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
ChuckMoney
Recipes 

i find that for my purposes, i can evenly exchange candi sugar for brown sugar, and havent noticed the difference other than in my wallet.

Primary: Light/Dark American Wheat
Secondary: Odd Dark Pale Ale, Fruity Weisse
Bottled/Drinking: Pittsburgh style Old Ale, Angry Paul's Chocolate Ale, Honey-Chili Porter, Frankenbeer-y

Drawing Board: Belgian Dubbel

Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Cugel
Recipes 

JZ does suggest using dark candi syrup for Belgian strong darks and maybe dubbels also.

Other than that he's all into the table sugar per Evan's statements.

I have used table sugar and candi sugar and have noticed no difference.

Relax, don't worry etc. and so on.

Primaries: Old Ale, Barleywine, ESB, Scottish 80/.
Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Kegs: Choc/Coffee Stout, Saison, Dry Stout.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.
Coming soon: Blueberry Mead.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In a dubbel I's think about a Belgian Candi sugar just for the flavors that it imparts but by and large I agree that table sugar is perfectly acceptable to use (in some styles).

I'm using table sugar in an upcoming Biere De Garde because I need it to finish REALLY low and I want to give the yeast as much simple sugar to much on as possible.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What kind of flavors, without sparking a debate, are given by candi sugars and that other fancy sugars out there. Is it just not as dry or what??

I think for my dubbel I will most likely use just regular old table sugar, but just for reference.....

BTW, is it okay to use aromatic in trappist style ales?

Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's a different sweetness than table sugar. Candi sugar also give you a bit of an aroma that cane sugar does not.

It's certainly not wrong to use cane or beet sugar in a dubbel, I would just probably use amber candi sugar.

IMO, it's perfectly acceptable to use aromatic in just about any belgian beer.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Evan! has it mostly right. The thing is though that many use candi sugar to add color to the finished product as well, obviously plain white table sugar is not going to do that.

However, if you have a recipe calling for light candi sugar, or clear candi sugar, just put plain sugar in towards the end of the boil. To make candi sugar all you have to do is add heat to sugar in an acidic environment. Well, guess what, wort is pretty acidic, and pretty hot while it is boiling, so if you add plain white sugar 15 minutes before flame out, you essentially make light candi sugar in your boil.

Now, if you want color, you will have to make some of your own candi sugar. I believe O'flannigan has perfect instructions on how to make it. It might even be in the wiki. It is pretty easy.

EDIT: yes, it is in the wiki

Quick Reply