Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can You USe Bittering Hops to Dry Hop (or add for flavor/aroma)?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Default Can You USe Bittering Hops to Dry Hop (or add for flavor/aroma)?

I’m trying to make adjustments to my recipes, allowing for the shortage of the “C” hops.

When I think of Galena, Nugget, Pearle, etc… I think of only bittering. I happen to have some supply of these and I’m wanting to get some more hop nose in some of my standard recipes. Two questions:

A) Can these hops be used as a late addition (less than 5 minutes) or dry hopped in the keg to achieve this?

2) Can I back-load these bittering additions to get more flavor (I.E. - Foregoing the 60 minute additon and adding more hops at 30-40 minutes or less to achieve same IBU's, but get more flavor/aroma)?

Anyone have experience using “bittering” hops as flavor/aroma enhancers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use Amarillo, Warrior, Columbus, and Simcoe as late additions from time to time and have been happy with the results.

When I dryhop I use Amarillo and Warrior almost exclusively. They both have a fantastic aroma and really add a lot to the nose of an APA or IPA.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1. So-called "bittering-only" hops can be used for flavor/aroma additions, fo sho. They may not lend as complex a profile as those varieties that are typically used for flavor/aroma, but they will do the trick no doubt.
  2. You can back-load the hops, but 40 minutes is too long in the boil to add much flavor or aroma---you'll get pretty much the same affect on aroma/flavor that you would if you added it at 60 mins, but with less AA extraction. If you want to go this route, you should severely back-load your schedule, as in during the last 20 minutes. However, this also requires a ton more hops to reach your desired IBU level, which is not really efficient in these days of inflated hop prices. I'd add what you need at 60 or 90 to get a certain IBU level, then back-load moderately from 20 till flameout. My hop sched for The Destroyer of Worlds IIPA was as follows:

Code:
   Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1.50 oz.    Cascade                           Whole    5.75  15.3  Mash H
  3.00 oz.    Galena                            Whole   13.00  92.7  60 min.
  1.00 oz.    Willamette                        Whole    4.10   5.9  20 min.
  2.00 oz.    Willamette                        Whole    4.10   7.1  10 min.
  1.00 oz.    Willamette                        Whole    4.10   1.9  5 min.
  0.50 oz.    Willamette                        Whole    4.10   0.4  2 min.
  2.00 oz.    Willamette                        Whole    4.10   0.0  0 min.
  2.00 oz.    Cascade                           Whole    5.75   0.0  Dry Hop
Some suggested that for a really intense hop flavor/aroma profile, I back-load it like you propose and add all of the hops between 20 and flameout. However, I opted for a middle-of-the-road technique wherein I mash-hopped, added a good amount of high-AA hops at 60 for cost-effective bittering, and then back-loaded & dry hopped.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

There aren't really any hops I consider uni-taskers. For me, Perle is definitely not just for bittering. I use it for flavoring in several recipes...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

All three of those work well for flavor/aroma. Very few bittering hops aren't usable for flavor/aroma; Brewer's Gold, Magnum & Yakima Cluster come to mind.

Perle is great in an IPA.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Here's the hop bill for the IIPA that I just racked to secondary last week. I'll be dryhopping this next week with 1/2 oz each of Amarillo and Warrior.

3.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 91.7 IBU
3.00 oz Warrior [16.40 %] (60 min) Hops 115.6 IBU
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 65.8 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 9.4 IBU

I've found that I prefer the aromas of high aa% to the normal 'aroma' hops in my Ambers, APA's and IPA's. For more classic styles I'll stick with traditional varieties.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

These are good things to know.

Sounds like “most” bittering hops can multitask, but are most “effective” as bittering because of their high alpha %.

So a follow-up question…for the 12%-14% alpha hops, do I run the risk of over-bittering with 10, 5, 0 and dry-hop additions? I love the smell of nugget and am tempted at times to just toss a handful of pellets into the secondary for a week. Do I not need to be concerned about scaling back on high alpha’s for these additions (understanding that “some” bitterness may be extracted even at 10 minutes)?

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
So a follow-up question…for the 12%-14% alpha hops, do I run the risk of over-bittering with 10, 5, 0 and dry-hop additions? I love the smell of nugget and am tempted at times to just toss a handful of pellets into the secondary for a week. Do I not need to be concerned about scaling back on high alpha’s for these additions (understanding that “some” bitterness may be extracted even at 10 minutes)?
If you have a brewing program, you could just adjust your bittering additions down to compensate for the increase during later additions.

To take your example (Nugget)---let's say you're working with a 1.060 OG beer. For every 1/4 oz of 11.2% AA Nugget hops you add at 15 minutes, you raise your IBU by 5.8. At 10 minutes, every 1/4 oz raises it by 4.2. At 5 minutes, 2.3. At flameout, 0. Adjust your bittering additions accordingly.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
If you have a brewing program, you could just adjust your bittering additions down to compensate for the increase during later additions.

To take your example (Nugget)---let's say you're working with a 1.060 OG beer. For every 1/4 oz of 11.2% AA Nugget hops you add at 15 minutes, you raise your IBU by 5.8. At 10 minutes, every 1/4 oz raises it by 4.2. At 5 minutes, 2.3. At flameout, 0. Adjust your bittering additions accordingly.
Yup. 10, 5, hell even 2 minutes is enough time to isomerize at least some of the alpha acids. It's dependent upon the aa% of the hop variety that you are using and of course how much you add. Looking at the styles that you normally brew you'll want to pay close attention to these calculations to continue to achieve balance in mid-to-low gravity brews.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

I think Simcoe has great aroma... warrior is a bit harsh for my taste... cascade is my favorite. So... interceptor (I)IPA (see sig) is warrior bittered, then additions of Simcoe every 5 minutes early, and cascade late.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Reply