Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Uinta Wyld Extra Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
14thstreet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

balto charlie, what kind of bitterness did you get with this beer? Did you do a whirlpool addition / hop steep after flameout or just straight to chill? A calculated 13 IBU versus a reported 30-40 IBU from the brewery is quite a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buna_Bere View Post
I think it's hard to go wrong with Crystal, I bet that Kolsch you made was delicious.
I wanted to like it but I think I need to go back to the drawing board. I think my FWH addition turned out more like a full standard 90 minute. I "think" I got a lot more bitterness than I expected, even though I still feel I got some hints of flavor and aroma. The yeast is new to me so that might contribute something of what I'm getting. First thing that comes to mind is a citrus pithiness, with the pithiness dominating. I wonder if I need to let the FWH stand awhile instead of heating to boil right away as the first and second runnings fill the kettle. Otherwise, I thought the low co-humulone Crystal wouldn't have been as harsh as it may have been.
On Deck: Kumquat Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #22
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Before Jamil had this on CYBI, I had been trying to clone this beer for a long time. This is a fantastic beer!

My opinion: trust the hop charge in the recipe Jamil used. The IBU's at around 13 is correct for the beer. Tasting my brew side by side with Wyld showed that the bitterness was similar. I think 30-40 IBUs would blow this low gravity grain bill away from pale ale into IPA territory.

Before the CYBI episode I had been using Simcoe exclusively or also in combo with Centennial or Cascade. Good but not Wyld. Based on the CYBI recipe, making that change to the Amarillo and Simcoe combo made all the difference!

Cheers

Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I thought this beer was 4%? 1.049 OG with a 1.012 FG is closer to 5% right?

Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 229

I'm really surprised you guys like the beer so much. Unita is a local brewer and I picked up a 3-beer variety 12-pack of their organic beers. I choked down the other two organic beers but still have 2 of the WYLD bottles left from about 10 months ago. Guess I'll clear my palate and give these another shot.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
I'm really surprised you guys like the beer so much. Unita is a local brewer and I picked up a 3-beer variety 12-pack of their organic beers. I choked down the other two organic beers but still have 2 of the WYLD bottles left from about 10 months ago. Guess I'll clear my palate and give these another shot.
Well, in all fairness trying an almost year old low abv pale ale probably won't be the best judge of the beer, right?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #26
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Well, in all fairness trying an almost year old low abv pale ale probably won't be the best judge of the beer, right?
I looked in my fridge. Turns out it was the Hyve I didn't like. I drank the Wyld first.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #27
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thstreet View Post
balto charlie, what kind of bitterness did you get with this beer? Did you do a whirlpool addition / hop steep after flameout or just straight to chill? A calculated 13 IBU versus a reported 30-40 IBU from the brewery is quite a difference........

I wonder if I need to let the FWH stand awhile instead of heating to boil right away as the first and second runnings fill the kettle. Otherwise, I thought the low co-humulone Crystal wouldn't have been as harsh as it may have been.
I also got a 13 but it taste much hoppier. I just added at the end of boil as I turned off the heat and started chilling. Not certain Beer Smith did it correctly but the hops are stronger than 13 IBUs. Very balanced Pale Ale, drinking one now. 3 weeks from brew pot to mouth.
Secondary IPA, Brown ale
Primary
On Deck ESB, Belgian Dubbel, Evil Twin

Old 10-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #28
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
I thought this beer was 4%? 1.049 OG with a 1.012 FG is closer to 5% right?
mine came out @ 5%
Secondary IPA, Brown ale
Primary
On Deck ESB, Belgian Dubbel, Evil Twin

Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #29
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Given the tiny amount of Amarillo used in this recipe, and the fact that it's a 60 min addition, I should be able to get away with a basic bittering hop like Magnum, right? Would stick with the all the other elements (grain, Kölsch yeast, simcoe late additions). Looking for an APA different than what I typically brew, which are more like Sierra Pale, or Founders dry-hopped pale.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #30
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So do they use just organic base malt? Or is it all the malts? I see briess makes all those as organic. Also, I wonder about the hops are those organic too?

Quick Reply