New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Levitation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
EricCSU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Levitation

All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

4.25kg British pale
0.5kg crystal 75
0.25kg crystal 150
20g black patent

Mash at 157

14g Columbus %AA 90min (unknown AA%)
29g amarillo %AA 30min
33g crystal %AA 20min
11g simcoe %AA 20min
42g amarillo dry hop

WLP007 fermented at 67 degrees

Finish at 3.2 plato

Discussion notes:
The brewer's mash was 156, but he said that 156 or 157 would be fine. It was noted that this recipe would translate to extract very well. Replace the british pale with 2.5kg british pale DME or 3.25kg british pale LME. The brewer also used crystal 120 instead of crystal 150. He also fermented at 68F.

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts

I brewed 10 gallons of this a few weeks ago and currently have it on tap. I have tasted it side by side with the commercial version. It very cloned but the homebrew is much fresher and the hops are brighter and the bitterness is firmer. Also the homebrew is not a clear.

I used American 2-row and not the British pale malt. I used chocolate and not the black patent. I used crystal 120 not the 150. I replaced the crystal with hallertau.

This was the first beer I did after making some major changes to my system. Everything worked well but I got much higher efficiency and way overshot the starting gravity (I got 1.060). My finish gravity was also very high at 1.020. Next time I'd adjust for the increase in efficiency and perhaps mash at a lower temp to increase the fermentability.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
berley31
Recipes 

I brewed this beer a little over a week ago. I actually had all of the ingredients and hops, so brewed it pretty much as is. Hit the mash temp almost perfectly (was under by about 0.5 degree), and pitched yeast at 65 F.

Problem was, however, is I had my Better Bottle in a laundry sink with cold water, and after pitching the yeast, I went away for a couple of days. When I got back, the temp was too high (75 F); brought it down some, but by then I imagine it was too late. I plan on throwing in the Amarillo dry-hop addition this Saturday, and bottling it a week later. I'll report back with the results hopefully in 3 weeks or so when I first test it.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
berley31
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berley31 View Post
I brewed this beer a little over a week ago. I actually had all of the ingredients and hops, so brewed it pretty much as is. Hit the mash temp almost perfectly (was under by about 0.5 degree), and pitched yeast at 65 F.

Problem was, however, is I had my Better Bottle in a laundry sink with cold water, and after pitching the yeast, I went away for a couple of days. When I got back, the temp was too high (75 F); brought it down some, but by then I imagine it was too late. I plan on throwing in the Amarillo dry-hop addition this Saturday, and bottling it a week later. I'll report back with the results hopefully in 3 weeks or so when I first test it.
This beer turned out really nice... just had a sample last night, and after 11-12 days bottled the carbonation seems good. Haven't had Levitation for awhile, so I can't really comment on how close it is, but this is a very flavorful, hoppy and bitter beer. Great recipe.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
This beer turned out really nice... just had a sample last night, and after 11-12 days bottled the carbonation seems good. Haven't had Levitation for awhile, so I can't really comment on how close it is, but this is a very flavorful, hoppy and bitter beer. Great recipe.
Do yourself a favor and buy a 6 pack of the commercial version. Then try them side by side in a blind tasting. I did this with some friends and the homebrew was much fresher and was preferred by all.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Saving this for later.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
berley31
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
Do yourself a favor and buy a 6 pack of the commercial version. Then try them side by side in a blind tasting. I did this with some friends and the homebrew was much fresher and was preferred by all.
Trust me, I would if I could. I live in Eastern Canada, and there's no Stone products here, of course.

I will make a point to pick some up the next time I'm in Maine, however.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Trust me, I would if I could. I live in Eastern Canada, and there's no Stone products here, of course.

I will make a point to pick some up the next time I'm in Maine, however.

I have the same problem with the Moose Drool recipe. I've never had the beer cause we can't get it here in NC

Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
berley31
Recipes 

Yeah... I had the Moose Drool once last year while in Montana... I brewed that clone as well about 6 weeks ago. Tastes good, but I can't remember, of course, exactly what the MD tasted like, so I can't really do a fair comparison.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
maida7
Recipes 

I find the only way to do a real comparison is to drink them side by side in a blind tasting.

Quick Reply