Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can You Brew It recipe for Rogue Dead Guy Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #41
xeerohour
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, my pseudo clone of this is done, and it's a solid beer. Mine actually wound up at 1.055 OG and 1.010 FG, which is obviously a bit off. Also used 1056 yeast because I couldn't get ahold of Pacman.

My thoughts: first off, I'm never using the home brew stores crush again. I let them crush my grain for this, as it was for an event at their store. I get way better efficiency using my barley crusher.

Second, the color and flavor are dead on, but the hop bite is milder in my clone, and my clone completely lacks the honey aroma that the real Dead Guy has. I actually prefer the clone to the real thing in everything except the lack of the honey aroma. Anyone know what causes that? Is it the Pacman yeast? Or just that mine finished too dry?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #42
chezzesteak
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

just kicked the keg of this...so good but now i have to brew it again. everybody wants it back..

do you think you could take a couple lbs of 2 row and a lb of munich and 6 or so ozs of Carastan out to lower the Gravity...almost like a seesion dead guy.

at almost 8 percent it gets pretty strong after a few

Old 12-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #43
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzesteak
just kicked the keg of this...so good but now i have to brew it again. everybody wants it back..

do you think you could take a couple lbs of 2 row and a lb of munich and 6 or so ozs of Carastan out to lower the Gravity...almost like a seesion dead guy.

at almost 8 percent it gets pretty strong after a few
It should finish around 6.7%.

I appreciate the idea to make it more sessionable. I have done that with several beers myself. Keep the percentages the same and the bittering units:gravity units the same.

How low do you want to go?

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 12-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #44
chezzesteak
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

5 to 6 would be good plus I can use my smaller mash tun. Big one is a pain

Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #45
arkowa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just cracked open my first Dead Guy clone. Yum! Fantastic beer, may be my new house beer. I followed the grain bill. I was about 2-3 points low on the OG but my yeast (subbed US-05 for Pacman) gave an FG about 2 points lower than the recipe. I added a little centennial to the 60 min boil as I did not quite have enough Perl to hit the bittering IBU mark. I figured bittering is bittering. I did not have the aroma hop so I subbed an appropriate amount of Williamette. Looking back, I'm not sure why I subbed williamette for aroma - especially since the podcast mentioned subbing centennial. I have more centennial in my freezer than Jerome Simpson (a la Bengals WR) has pot in his house.

I'll be picking up a bottle of Dead Guy to do a triple blind test to see how close I was in taste and color. Regardless of whether it is a clone or not (obviously I want it to be, since that was the goal), it is a fantastic beer! Seriously, so damn good!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #46
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 26

How much of a flavor impact would Marris Otter give vs. 2-Row for the base grain?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #47
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

If you subbed in MO, I'd suggest lowering the amount of munich. There's such a thing as too malty :P

Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #48
aharri1
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 45 Posts

I recently brewed the extract kit that rogue sells for it and added an extra 3.3lbs of golden light lme and added a measuring cup of the local honey I got and it came out great at 8.8% abv with no alcohol taste just dead guy with less hoppy after bite and semi sweet instead! Also, I tried for the first time with no secondary just three weeks primary 3 week bottle and its awesome and crystal clear. From now on secondary is only for added flavoring or bulk aging in my book.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #49
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 26

How much maltiness would Marris Otter provide over two row?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #50
demuzik
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just brewed the following 5.5G batch, heavily based upon the original recipe on this thread:

9.5lbs Organic US 2-Row
2.5lbs Munich
.5lb Crystal 10
.25lb Crystal 40

1.25oz Perle Hops (7.8%) - 90 min
1 oz Sterling (7%) - 1 min

Pacman yeast w/starter

My estimated OG was 1.064, but it ended up at only 1.060. Its either coincidence or the organic 2-row I've been getting (Breiss) is not as efficient as its non-organic brethren.

Also part of why I came up short: perhaps this is common knowledge but I recently found out that standard US Munich is 6-row based, so if you calculate your recipe w/german Munich - which is 2-row based - but end up using a US version, you will come out short on your extraction/OG.

All in all I still think this will turn out to be very tasty; if the pacman does its thing to about 1.013-1.014, we'll be in the 6.3% range... it just may be a bit drier than desired.

Quick Reply