Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can You Brew It recipe for Rogue Dead Guy Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #91
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MadScientist View Post
I am trying to figure out how do we know that Rogue brewery, specifically the brewmaster, uses the Ranger IBU formula? Also I couldn't pick up John mentioning the AA% of the whirlpool hops.
The whirlpool hops shouldn't result in significant IBU so the AA% isn't significant.

Per information available on the internet, Dead Guy is 40 IBU. The CYBI recipe is 49 IBU (Rager), but about 5 IBU's of that calculated bitterness is because they entered the whirlpool hops as 1 min instead of 0 min.

I brewed this and made a note to adjust the bittering addition to make 40 IBU Tinseth in an attempt to get closer to the commerical bitterness and leave the whirlpool addition (10 minute steep after flameout for me) the same.

Overall, the beer was excellent and is on my list to rebrew this year. My other changes for next time include:

1. Using a 10L Munich instead of the Weyermann Light Munich (6L) I chose the first time.
2. Mash at 154F for less attenuation. I'd use Wyeast 1056 again, fermented at 63F.
3. Shorten the boil to 60 min, adjust bittering addition for 40 IBU Tinseth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #92
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thank you DSmith,

That's interesting that you are using 40 IBU Tinseth. I have my recipe set for that too. My last two 10 gallon batches have been tasting good with that.

I haven't found any recipe on the internet, just the CYBI audio interview with John. I heard John say 40 IBU. I just trying to find out, at this point, if it's Rager or Tinseth and which matches the commercial brew.

Thanks,,, for your taste bud analysis.

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...473769/detail/

Last edited by 1MadScientist; 08-07-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Old 06-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #93
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The web site lists 40 IBU but not which equation they used.
http://rogue.com/beers/dead-guy-ale.php

Old 06-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #94
DSmith
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MadScientist View Post
Thank you DSmith,

That's interesting that you are using 40 IBU Tenseth. I have my recipe set for that too. My last two 10 gallon batches have been tasting good with that.

I haven't found any recipe on the internet, just the CYBI audio interview with John. I heard John say 40 IBU. I just trying to find out, at this point, if it's Rager or Tenseth and which matches the commercial brew.

Thanks,,, for your taste bud analysis.
The 40 IBU is most likely determined by laboratory analysis. I only brewed it once as close as the CYBI recipe as possible, bought some of the commercial beer, and formed my thoughts about how I think I could brew a closer "clone". Switching to Tinseth and recalculating the single bittering addition for 40 IBU is my next try.

Per the information from the interview, the whirlpool hops weight is 0.79 time the bittering hop weight. The CYBI recipe is pretty close to this ratio too. You'll have to decide if that ratio means anything and if you increase the bittering hop, do you increase the whirlpool hops too? I thought the CYBI hop aroma was pretty close to the commercial beer.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #95
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MadScientist
I am trying to figure out how do we know that Rogue brewery, specifically the brewmaster, uses the Ranger IBU formula? Also I couldn't pick up John mentioning the AA% of the whirlpool hops.
(Deleted)

Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #96
DSmith
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
1. Using a 10L Munich instead of the Weyermann Light Munich (6L) I chose the first time.
2. Mash at 154F for less attenuation (looking for 1.016 FG). I'd use Wyeast 1056 again, fermented at 63F.
3. Shorten the boil to 60 min, adjust bittering addition for 40 IBU Tinseth.
I brewed the CYBI recipe first, made notes compared with the commercial Dead Guy and am re-brewing this week based on the changes above. My experience with the CYBI recipe is that it was not a clone, but my use of light Munich probably made the biggest difference. The CYBI recipe wasn't clear regarding the Munich used. Here is my version with light Munich:

cybi-dead-guy-ale.jpg

I'm also slightly increasing the whirlpool hops because the Tinseth IBU formula will result in more bittering hops. The interview indicated 38# of 7.5%AA bittering hops and 30# of whirlpool hops. I'm keeping that ratio the same based on 7.5%AA bittering hops. My actual bittering hops are 8.0%AA, but that change for IBU won't affect the whirlpool hop amount.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #97
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My grain bill based on the interview is this;

67.5% Rahr 2 row (1.8 SRM)
22.8% Bress Bonlander Munich (12.8 SRM)
9.8% Great Western C 15 (15 SRM)
(Color: 8.4 SRM)

I am drinking this currently.

I bumped up the IBU on this one to 54 Tinseth, Perle @ 60 mins. and Czech Saaz @ 0 mins. (I wanted Sterling, but for the one mail order supplier, didn't have it). I treat the 0 mins. addition as a hop stand for at least 40 mins. with the cover on.

I haven't done a side-by-side taste test, but from my memory, I loved it the best when I had it in 2006 in Coorvalis and Newport (brewery).

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...473769/detail/

Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #98
micahnormal
Recipes 

So I brewed (a variation of) this yesterday with this bill:

11 lb 2 row
4 lb Munich
1 lb Crystal 10
.5 lb Crystal 20

Hit 6gal of 1.070 post boil. Used 2oz Perle at 90 min and 1oz Centennial at 1min. Pitched Us05 at 1600 yesterday. Kind of wishing I used a starter because no airlock activity as of this morning. But, it is early and I'm fermenting at 60. Excited to see how this turns out!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #99
joetothemo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Here are some condensed answers to a ton of questions I see again and again in this thread.

Carastan -
Don't bother. That was a sub that Tasty made. Carastan comes in 2 lovibonds, this has been hashed and rehashed.... but it does not matter. Great Western C15 is what Rogue uses and you should too. The Munich is so dominant that you can approximate it with a C10 and C20 blend and get away clean.

Sterling -
Maier uses Sterling because US Saaz was being phased out. It is not a homebrew substitution, Sterling is the finishing hop in the beer you buy at the store. Also Tasty said something about Centennial in the podcast. Don't use it in place of Sterling. I have no idea what he was thinking. Seriously, just use Czech Saaz if you have to.

Pacman -
Rogue uses it and they ferment at 60f. You can use 001/1056/US05 at a low temp. Just be sure you attenuate properly.

IBU's - No one knows what the true IBUs of Dead Guy are without analysis. Maier even said in the interview that "some of those numbers" from the website are a bit off when talking with Tasty. Go with the recipe and make a good beer.

All that said, I brewed this with success many times and its great.

In fact, I brewed it once with Czech Saaz, 1056, missed the OG by many points and did the C10/C15 blend. The thing looked and tasted so damn much like Dead Guy in the side by side that I mixed the 2 samples in one glass because I lost track of which was which. I've brewed about 10 of these CYBI recipes and that is certainly the closest I've come.

I've also brewed it strictly to the recipe and had even more success. The recipe is perfect.

Hope this helps.

In Primary:
Amarillo Pale Ale
A Stout I brewed for a guy as a lesson

In Bottles:
Jamil's Belgian Tripel
Centennial Pale Ale

On Draft:
Imperial Red Ale

PinzonCornudo Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #100
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just a FYI, the Costco in Grafton, WI is selling Dead Guy by the case.

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

Quick Reply