New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I purchased Tettnang too. Going to brew this within the next week.

I'll use some Warrior to sub for the massive 0.07 oz of each Summit and Horizon and I'm subbing for Willamette (probably either Fuggles or EK Goldings). I'll probably cheat on the dryhopping too. I don't think I have Columbus.

I decided to bite the bullet and purchase WLP002.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
AstroBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Brewed this up yesterday. Came out real nice. I used all Nugget for the 90 min addition and replaced the Santiam with Hallertau. Tettnang would have been better I guess, but I won't be heart-broken if it's not a dead-on clone. Also, I think I toasted my wheat a little too dark. I was going for the 60 lov that the brewer mentioned, but after listening to the podcast again, Jamil says it should be closer to 14 lov. Oh well, the color of the wort looked spot-on Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. And the smell of the toasted wheat is amazing!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #23
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Cracked open a bottle of LS Wild last night to compare to my off the cuff clone. Color was the same, not really the same beer mainly due to the clove notes in the Lagunitas version, whereas mine originally had clove but it aged out rather quickly. I couldn't get past that clove aroma to compare the hop aroma.

I don't like clove so I was pretty happy with my beer. Dumped the rest of the bottle and drank my beer.

All in all I really like what I brewed, next time I'd probably just stick with US-05 or similar yeast and bypass the Belgian thoughts as it makes for a very smooth IPA.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #24
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBrew View Post
Brewed this up yesterday. Came out real nice. I used all Nugget for the 90 min addition and replaced the Santiam with Hallertau. Tettnang would have been better I guess, but I won't be heart-broken if it's not a dead-on clone. Also, I think I toasted my wheat a little too dark. I was going for the 60 lov that the brewer mentioned, but after listening to the podcast again, Jamil says it should be closer to 14 lov. Oh well, the color of the wort looked spot-on Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. And the smell of the toasted wheat is amazing!
I just bottled my batch last weekend and tried one tonight. Surprisingly, it carbed early. My negatives were that I missed the OG by a decent amount and the color. I'm chalking the OG miss to not tightening up the gap on my mill for crushing the wheat. Also, my color is a tad light...probably should've toasted the wheat longer. Mine is also real cloudy...I'm sure Lag filters theirs.

Taste is really good. I still have a bottle of the real stuff and will do a side by side taste test this weekend.

For dry-hopping, I used a sanitized 1gal paint strainer bag sealed with sanitized zip tie. This thing was huge when I pulled it out of the fermenter...crazy amount of dryhops.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #25
Kult0007
Recipes 

I brewed the Little Sumpin Sumpin recipe this weekend and I've been pleased with it so far. I actually found Santium hops for this batch...thanks Northern Brewer! I'm glad I got extra unmilled wheat to experiment with toasting because I burned my first attempt. It smelled great cooking at 350 F, but after about 15 min the smell abruptly changed to a burnt popcorn odor. Third time was a charm. I'd recommend slowly incrementing the oven temp until you get it dialed in...and it's totally worth trying though for how great it smells!

I was low on gravity, but that's not surprising because I'm brewing on a new system so I'll have to learn it's quirks. I don't have temp control capability to maintain the fermentation temps suggested, it's been at 70 F the whole time. I can't wait to bomb this thing with dry hops. I'll be back to give tasting notes.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #26
reddskinnfan

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Brewed this today. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #27
Acoma
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

For those that have attemptd this clone, how long did you dry hop for?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #28
bovinejony
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Eric,

I've never roasted malt before, what exactly is 140lov? This recipe looks great. I'd love to scale it down to 5gallons post-boil total volume since my brew pot is only 30quarts. Can I just do a linear scaling down of all ingredients or will I lose some components of the recipe? Also, what could I substitute Horizon/Summit for, due to no LHBS having them in stock?

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #29
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinejony View Post
Hey Eric,

I've never roasted malt before, what exactly is 140lov? This recipe looks great. I'd love to scale it down to 5gallons post-boil total volume since my brew pot is only 30quarts. Can I just do a linear scaling down of all ingredients or will I lose some components of the recipe? Also, what could I substitute Horizon/Summit for, due to no LHBS having them in stock?

Thanks!
I have never roasted malt either. You should search the forums for "roasting malt" and if that does not answer your question, start a thread in the appropriate forum.

If I had a 7.5 gallon brewpot, I would use the same amount of grain but only run off 6.5 gallons. Then use fermcap-S to reduce the chance of boilover (and add hops slowly). If your final volume into your carboy is less than 5.5 gallons, top up with boiled and cooled water. If you use Beersmith (which I recommend), you can enter in your equipment and boil volume and it will adjust the hop utilization rate, which changes with a concentrated boil.

For hop substitution, check the link in my signature.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 05-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Just use all Nugget hops, you can't possibly detect the difference in the beer. 14 Lovibond (not 140) is the color of the malt you are aiming for. I just used Caramel Wheat from the LHBS and didn't bother roasting such a small amount of malt.

Quick Reply