Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #11
EricCSU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobita
So I just bought all the ingredients for this beer and am planning to brew it tomorrow, but Beersmith says the IBUs are around 30 (as listed above) but the actual beer is 64 IBUs according to Lagunitas.

I'm using the recipe listed on this post. which I thought was accurate based on the "can you brew it" show.

Can anyone help clear this up for me? TIA
Did you use Rager?

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #12
nobita
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

doh!...i actually had no idea about rager vs. tinseth was until you just posted, and I did a quick google search. I have a lot to learn! I switched to rager under beersmith options and it upped the IBUs from ~34 to 40 but that is still way less than the 64 IBUs listed on the label. what else am i missing?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #13
calpyro
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobita View Post
doh!...i actually had no idea about rager vs. tinseth was until you just posted, and I did a quick google search. I have a lot to learn! I switched to rager under beersmith options and it upped the IBUs from ~34 to 40 but that is still way less than the 64 IBUs listed on the label. what else am i missing?
I am going to brew this recipe again on Monday as Little Sumpin Wild with 3787 Wyeast Belgian yeast. My Beersmith hit 33 IBU and came out great. I entered it in a competition and got 40.3 points in Belgian Specialty category with a third place. I am really happy with this beer and would not make it more bitter. This beer will be a regular for me.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:49 AM   #14
nobita
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks that is great to know! I went ahead and brewed this yesterday as is...it was my first all grain, and obviously I will have to work on my efficiency as my OG was only 1.058 compared to the target of 1.071 but hopefully it will still taste good!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Anyone sub US-04 or Nottingham for WLP002? I have a lot of US04, US05, and Notty on hand...reallydon't feel like spending $7 on a vial of WLP002.

Also, my LHBS didn't have Santiam. Beersmith says subs are Tettnang and Spalt.

I have Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, Northern Brewer, Nugget, Fuggles, EK Goldings, Warrior, etc. on hand. I'm thinking that none of these are appropriate subs. Really don't feel like driving all the way to the LHBS again.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 AM   #16
nobita
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I couldn't find Santiam either, even here in Portland, aka Beervana. I used Tettnang instead.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
AstroBrew
Recipes 

I'm going to give this a go tomorrow. Did anybody actually home-toast some wheat? I'm thinking I'll give it a try today and see if it's worth using. Also, how does the bittering come out? Should I up the hopping to get closer to the real thing?

Old 03-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made it a month or so ago and I did toast the wheat. It was really easy, just follow what Jamil did-I think it took me 30 Min. I don't have a mill so just used the rolling pin/zip lock bag method to crack the grain. It also makes the house smell really good.

I followed the recipe exactly except for the Santiam I thought it came out spot-on. I wouldn't change a thing.

The only bad thing I can say about this beer is it doesn't last long enough. My friends and I killed a full corny in about an hour and a half.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
AstroBrew
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks. I don't have Santiam, either. I'm thinking I'll use Hallertau. What did you substitute?

Old 03-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Tettnang

Quick Reply