Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can You Brew It recipe for Lagunitas IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #31
Scottyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hi, I am still relatively new at all of this. I just brewed this a couple of days ago following this recipe. I am a little confused as to when to add the dry hops, at five days into fermenting? After adding the hops wait for 5-7 days then rack to a secondary? I just want to make sure I understand this. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #32
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyh View Post
Hi, I am still relatively new at all of this. I just brewed this a couple of days ago following this recipe. I am a little confused as to when to add the dry hops, at five days into fermenting? After adding the hops wait for 5-7 days then rack to a secondary? I just want to make sure I understand this. Thanks in advance!
Generally, dry hops are added after fermentation is complete (or close to complete) and 5-7 days prior to bottling. I would let you beer ferment for 10 day - 2 weeks and then add the dry hops for 5-7 days and then bottle. If you want to use a secondary vessel (up to you, though I do not think it is necessary here) let the beer ferment for 10 days - 2 weeks in primary, then rack it to secondary, then add the dry hops for 5-7 days, then bottle.

If you cannot be certain you can bottle on time you should wait to dry hop - once the dry hops are in, you dont want to leave them in there for more than 7 days and you'll want to get all that hoppy goodness into bottles as soon as the dry hopping is finished.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #33
reverendnathan
Recipes 

Brewed, fermented, dry hopped, cold crashed, kegged and served all within two weeks. No notes of green beer here. I followed everything by the book and this beer turned around like a champ. However, some problems:

Well first off, LHBS didn't have Cascade (I know, right?!), so I chose Amarillo instead and the Centenniarillo combo is pretty good. Doesn't smell like Lagu IPA, but it's good. Then again, Lagu IPA to me doesn't smell like much of anything too extremely dry-hopped either. The local liquor store says our local distributor is a big fan of holding fresh stuff on their own shelves, so maybe I'll never try a fresh commercial example with that Cascennial nose, either.

OK, the big problem: 35 IBUs isn't nearly as close to what Lagunitas IPA really is. At all. Nope, nope nope nopenopenope. This beer misses the bitterness index by at least 20 IBUs, and I can't at all call this cloned. Something needs to be done... I think double-down on the 60m addition. I like this beer because of the balance, bitter but not typical IPA bitter. This beer I have here isn't any of that. Almost -- but so far away from actual Lagu IPA.

This grain bill is spot-the-hell-on. Wow, through the not-so-bitter taste above it this grain bill is exactly how Lagu IPA is, and that's really exciting. When I come back to this beer, I know the grains are 100%. But man, that bitterness is just way off, way too low.

Pitched two packs of S04 at 64F, free rise to 66F where it fermented 7d. Rise to 70F for 7d for the dryhop. Cooled beer and racked into keg. Force carbed and served that night. I know a lot of you would call someone a coward serving their beer that early, but I've had success before and I had success here. Some beers can get away with it, and Lagunitas did so. If I did this one again though, other than hopping it more, I'd dryhop 10-14d, however.

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:05 AM   #34
JohnSand
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 716

I believe I'll brew this next. I have no real IPAs on hand. (crazy, right?) I have the Clone Brews recipe, which is a little different. In the past I've had good results combining the CB and CYBI recipes. I'm pretty excited about it too. I like an IPA around 6%. It will be ready sooner, and quite drinkable, if I don't screw it up.

Quick Reply