Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #31
McKinley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
Mckinley, how did you end up using the JP dregs; secondary or on top of your primary?
Sorry, I forgot to check back with this post. I transferred the beer off the primary into a secondary and pitched the bugs at that time. Fermentation restarted well and I let that go for about a week before I added the dry hop. Then I think it was about a week later that I bottled.

In retrospect I should have let the bugs ferment out a little longer before adding the dry hop. If you keg, though, you could add the bugs and dry hop at the same time and just transfer to a "tertiary" keg after you've got enough hopping. I wanted to bottle this, so I primed this to 3 volumes in champagne bottles and I'm sure it got up to around 4.5-5 volumes by the time it stopped. It makes for a fun pour, though.

I really enjoyed this beer, it is almost gone already. Its a shame because I think it will drink very nicely during the summer months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #32
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I finally scored 2 bottles of Bam Biere on a recent trip to the US. This is all I have access to, and would like to brew this recipe. Will the dregs from my homebrew version be viable for future brews?

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Old 05-31-2011, 04:36 PM   #33
elproducto
Recipes 

So I pitched the dregs from a Bam Biere into some 1.020 wort, and after 3 weeks it's done nothing. I roused the yeast daily, and kept it warm but the yeast is just sitting on the bottom of the mason jar. I checked the gravity, and it's still at 1.020.

I only have one more Bam Biere left, what should I do?>

Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA

Old 05-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #34
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I'd say give it another shot...I've had great luck growing up jolly pumpkin dregs (3 times have taken off like a rocket!)

During the interview with The Brewing Network, they mention that you could also pitch pure strains of yeast + brett. (This is probably mentioned in the recipe as well). That would be your alternative if growing bottle dregs doesn't work for you.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #35
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Throw some oak cubes in there too if you want to keep the bugs for future use. The oxygen in the oak should help promote growth too.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #36
elproducto
Recipes 

Any idea if I could use Wyeast 1388 Strong Golden instead of the WL 550? Only reason I ask, is I have it at home and it would be one less pack I'd have to buy.

Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA

Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #37
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

1388 has only slightly different flocc and attenuation % than wlp550, so I would think that as long as you are pitching viable dregs/bugs at some point in addition to your sacch strain you'll be fine.

I'm sure someone might say it won't be a true "clone", but what funky/sour beer can truly be cloned when most of that unique character comes from their brewery-specific microbes/barrels, etc.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #38
elproducto
Recipes 

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not sure if I missed it but they didn't really talk timelines. When should it be racked to secondary? How long in secondary until packaging?

Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA

Old 06-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #39
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Really depends on how viable your bugs are, and how funky/sour you want it. At JP they only leave their beers in the barrels for 3 weeks, but the timeframe isn't going to be the same since you can't replicate the conditions/surface area of an inoculated barrel in 5 gallon homebrew batches. JP also has some open air ambient ferm conditions unique to their brewery. It seems the consensus is to co-pitch sacch and dregs or pitch the bugs not long after the primary sacch strain. Either way, you will likely make a darn fine replica.

My Bam Biere has been sitting for 2 months, after a few days in primary I dumped in 2 bottles of JP dregs. I added another bottle of JP dregs about 2-3 weeks later and just recently added a little maltodextrin for the dregs to munch on since I used 3711 and its such a sugar hog.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-03-2011, 01:55 AM   #40
McKinley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
Any idea if I could use Wyeast 1388 Strong Golden instead of the WL 550? Only reason I ask, is I have it at home and it would be one less pack I'd have to buy.
I used 565 and it ended up tasting very similar to JP's product. I think the souring bugs end up dominating the flavor profile.

Quick Reply