Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #21
BrewSpook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I see a couple of your guys in the DC/MD area. Can you get JP beers up there? I usually have to wait until my bi-annual trip to Michigan to score some, but if there is some that close I might have to be on the lookout next time I swing up north.

Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #22
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewSpook View Post
I see a couple of your guys in the DC/MD area. Can you get JP beers up there? I usually have to wait until my bi-annual trip to Michigan to score some, but if there is some that close I might have to be on the lookout next time I swing up north.
There are a few spots here in DC that carry them. I've found them at D'vines in Columbia Heights and more recently at a Whole Foods that just expanded their beer selection.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #23
BrewSpook
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, gunna have to check the WF here and see if they've got any. Thanks for the info.

If you ever get the chance though, the Old Mission in Traverse City, MI is one of JP's brewery locations. Good food and you can get JP, north peak, and a couple of other local MI beers on tap there. Its a great place to hang out.

Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #24
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewSpook View Post
Wow, gunna have to check the WF here and see if they've got any. Thanks for the info.

If you ever get the chance though, the Old Mission in Traverse City, MI is one of JP's brewery locations. Good food and you can get JP, north peak, and a couple of other local MI beers on tap there. Its a great place to hang out.
The brewpub sounds great.

If you can't source any JP locally, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction up here.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #25
McKinley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
There are a few spots here in DC that carry them. I've found them at D'vines in Columbia Heights and more recently at a Whole Foods that just expanded their beer selection.
dcHokie, which products do they have at d'Vines? The La Roja is as Chevy Chase Liquors on Connecticut.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #26
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinley View Post
dcHokie, which products do they have at d'Vines? The La Roja is as Chevy Chase Liquors on Connecticut.
Last time I was there (~2 weeks ago) they had Calabaza Blanca, Bam Biere, Bam Noire, La Roja, & Weizen Bam if memory serves. Also, Meridian Pint nearby in Columbia Heights usually has 1-2 JPs on tap.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #27
DBear
Recipes 

@McKinley

I live Northwest of DC in Germantown MD. Package stores with JP that I have found:

-Gilly's in Rockville, MD
-Spirit Shop in Frederick, MD
- Chevy Chase Beer and Wine - Chevy chase and DC line
- Perfect Pour in Columbia, MD

None have a large variety of JP - I'm looking for Dark Dawn - but Perfect Pour has a huge collection of all Micro, craft and imports- lots of belgians.

Homebrew shops:
-Flying Barrell - Frederick, MD
-Maryland HomeBrew - Columbia, MD

Cheers

Old 02-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #28
McKinley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
@McKinley

I live Northwest of DC in Germantown MD. Package stores with JP that I have found:

-Gilly's in Rockville, MD
-Spirit Shop in Frederick, MD
- Chevy Chase Beer and Wine - Chevy chase and DC line
- Perfect Pour in Columbia, MD

None have a large variety of JP - I'm looking for Dark Dawn - but Perfect Pour has a huge collection of all Micro, craft and imports- lots of belgians.

Homebrew shops:
-Flying Barrell - Frederick, MD
-Maryland HomeBrew - Columbia, MD

Cheers
Chevy Chase is my regular place to find belgians and so forth. They are good but not spectacular. If anyone is interested in getting dregs, I went in there two days ago and they had some Orval's that were bottled in January, 2011. I go to the MDHB up in Columbia, but have never stopped by perfect pour. I'll have to check them out as well as d'vines.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #29
McKinley
Recipes 

So I just tasted my version of this beer. While its not quite cloned, it is very close to the original despite the changes I made to the recipe (I used WLP565 and styrian goldings for flavor/dry hop and nugget for bittering, same IBU).

I had a chance to taste the original, although not side by side. I kind of like my version better, the bitterness is more aggressive in the original which doesn't go as well with the sourness, but both are really good.

All in all this was pretty easy to make (JP dregs are very viable and give immediate results in terms of sourness) and has a really great lemony flavor that will go well with the upcoming spring. I would recommend giving it a try.

I'll take a pic next time I open a bottle.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #30
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinley View Post
So I just tasted my version of this beer. While its not quite cloned, it is very close to the original despite the changes I made to the recipe (I used WLP565 and styrian goldings for flavor/dry hop and nugget for bittering, same IBU).

I had a chance to taste the original, although not side by side. I kind of like my version better, the bitterness is more aggressive in the original which doesn't go as well with the sourness, but both are really good.

All in all this was pretty easy to make (JP dregs are very viable and give immediate results in terms of sourness) and has a really great lemony flavor that will go well with the upcoming spring. I would recommend giving it a try.

I'll take a pic next time I open a bottle.
Mckinley, how did you end up using the JP dregs; secondary or on top of your primary?

Quick Reply