Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
I'd be more interested in brewing this if it didn't require purchasing four packets of microbes.

I'd be concerned that harvesting wouldn't give you the proper proportion of yeasts/bacteria in the starter too.
There's a clear solution to this problem, you know. Drink 3 bottles of Bam Biere and pitch them all!

I don't think you need a huge quantity of bugs for them to do their thing,once primary fermentation is over. There's not exactly a huge colony in a barrel, either, but they manage to sour a beer quite nicely given time. Really, that's all you need is time.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
BrewSpook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What if you did a primary with the WLP 550 and then made a dreg starter from a few bottles to get the good stuff going, pitched that in a week right into the primary with the oak. That would give the 550 times to do what it does and then the microbes could take over and finish the job.

???

Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Old 01-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Is there really black patent and crystal 80 in Bam? Seems strange...

Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #14
McKinley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post
I just ordered the stuff and plan to actually pitch it on a yeast slurry from a tart cherry wheat I made. Hoping it picks up some of the cherry flavor.
I like the call on the cherries for that beer!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:57 AM   #15
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinley View Post
I like the call on the cherries for that beer!
Yeah, I'm just hoping for a slight cherry hint. Summer time will roll around and I may just end up using cherries also.
I have used this cherry concentrate for a couple brews and its awesome. You need to be careful with lighter colored beers because it turns them red/pink easily. Worked very well in a stout.
http://kingorchards.com/store.htm?ca...Fce7KgodlFFTJg

Old 01-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
DBear
Recipes 

This is a great base recipe. I have brewed it a coulple of times first time without bugs just to see what it does as a session beer - its great!!
I brewed this beer with out the bugs and oak using the base grain beer and wy3522. This beer was choosen by New Begium for 2010 GABF ProAm. Ramped recipe from 5 gals to 100 barrels!

If you listen to the Can you Brew It podcast, Ron Jefferies expains the use of c80 - pull things together - and the Black Patent - for color only.

-Cheers

Old 02-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #17
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
This is a great base recipe. I have brewed it a coulple of times first time without bugs just to see what it does as a session beer - its great!!
I brewed this beer with out the bugs and oak using the base grain beer and wy3522.
have you brewed this with the bugs? Anyone know how long JP lets it barrel age...I'm curious how many months the scaled down clone recipe should sit on the microbes/oak to get that nice tart/funk balance.

I have a nice sized jar of dregs from two bottles of Bam Biere that have been stepped up and I've got the itch to pitch.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #18
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Listen to the can you brew mp3. They interview the brewer. With the obscure they say 6-12 months then blend multiple barrels to aciebe the desired sourness.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #19
DBear
Recipes 

dcHokie

You need to listen to the podcast for detailed information. Mike Miraz describes exactly what he did.

Cheers

Old 02-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
McKinley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
have you brewed this with the bugs? Anyone know how long JP lets it barrel age...I'm curious how many months the scaled down clone recipe should sit on the microbes/oak to get that nice tart/funk balance.

I have a nice sized jar of dregs from two bottles of Bam Biere that have been stepped up and I've got the itch to pitch.
I did this grain bill (with just a little extra base malt to 1.045 and changed the hops to styrian goldings, same IBU) with a WLP565 primary. About 1.5 weeks ago I racked this into secondary with the dregs of a La Roja that I cultured in a starter for two days. The beer was 1.008 when I racked, so I was surprised to find that its been having a fairly vigorous refermentation over the past week. I've got the oak and a styrian golding dry hop in there now. It looks like I'm going to have to rack to a keg to let this refermentation cool off a bit before I bottle.

I did a similar thing with the madrugada obscura (again with 565, fermenting away now) that I'll throw on the cake from the secondary. I'll let you know in a couple of days what kind of contribution I'm getting from the bugs. Clearly the dregs from JP are very active (mine was only in the bottle 2 months when I harvested it).

Quick Reply