Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can You Brew It recipe for Green Flash West Coast IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #31
maida7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I've made this beer twice and it's the bomb! I loved the commercial version and the homebrew is much fresher and the hops are much brighter. If you like hops make this beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #32
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Brewed this yesterday and was slightly short on the Simcoe at flameout, which is no big deal IMO.

The question is how important is the Simcoe in the dry hop? Should I bother trying to get that small amount for dry hopping, skip it entirely or sub something? I've got Chinook,Citra, Magnum, Saaz available. Leaning towards just skipping it but looking for opinions anyway.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #33
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Brewed this yesterday and was slightly short on the Simcoe at flameout, which is no big deal IMO.

The question is how important is the Simcoe in the dry hop? Should I bother trying to get that small amount for dry hopping, skip it entirely or sub something? I've got Chinook,Citra, Magnum, Saaz available. Leaning towards just skipping it but looking for opinions anyway.
IMHO it won't be nearly the same without the Simcoe. I'm not saying it will be bad but it won't be Green Flash. Simcoe is a special flavor that can't be substituted for. If you really want green flash go find some Simcoe. If your happy with another IPA the feel free to substitute.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #34
dondeez
Recipes 

I am planning on brewing this beer for my next batch. West Coast IPA is hands down my favorite beer. I cant wait to brew my own.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #35
dondeez
Recipes 

I brewed this today. I came up a bit shy of my target OG. I hit 1.064. Im hoping it doesnt make too much of a difference in the final product.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #36
Mandan
Recipes 

Just listened to the podcast. Looks like the hardness of the water in Vista is 238 ppm. Am I reading it right?

http://www.vid-h2o.org/pdf/publication/CCR_2010.pdf

So if mine is 144, I should be adding gypsum. Also, looks like the ph is a little high.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #37
dondeez
Recipes 

I missed the FG by 1 point. Right now its at 1.015. I tried a sample and added dry hops. From what I can tell it tastes pretty close to the actual beer. I cant wait to do a side by side blind taste test.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #38
dondeez
Recipes 

I sampled the first bottle last night and was very impressed. It lacked some aroma compared to the actual beer but is still very tasty. Like many other people have said the hops really shine in this recipe. Thanks again for posting all of these recipes!

Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #39
Mandan
Recipes 

Finally found this beer at Whole Foods in L.A. Wasn't impressed. Could not find a best by or bottled date, but I imagine the beer had been on the shelf a long time. Meanwhile, I dry hopped my clone yesterday after 2 weeks in primary. SG was also 1.015.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #40
dondeez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandan View Post
Finally found this beer at Whole Foods in L.A. Wasn't impressed. Could not find a best by or bottled date, but I imagine the beer had been on the shelf a long time. Meanwhile, I dry hopped my clone yesterday after 2 weeks in primary. SG was also 1.015.
Was it in a 4pack? If it was a 6pack chances are it is at least a few months old.

Quick Reply