Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Firestone Walker Union Jack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
EricCSU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Can you Brew It recipe for Firestone Walker Union Jack

All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1070
IBUs 82.7
SRM 6

6.3kg Pale Malt 81.9%
100g Simpson's Caramalt 1.3%
900g Munich 11.8%
380g Carapils 5%

90 minute boil

25g Warrior 7%AA at 90m
18g Cascade 7%AA at 30m
18g Centennial 10.5%AA at 30m
52g Cascade at 0m
52g Centennial at 0m
44g Centennial dry hop dose 1
44g Cascade dry hop dose 1

30g Cascade dry hop dose 2
30g Centennial dry hop dose 2
14g Amarillo dry hop dose 2
14g Simcoe dry hop dose 2

WLP002

Mash at 145F for 60m, 155F for 10m, then mash out

RO Water. Add gypsum and CaCl to 100ppm

Cool to 17C and pitch, raise to 19C after 24 hours.

Discussion Notes:
Tasty used a whirlpool for 30 minutes. If you can not whirlpool, it sounds like you can just turn the flame off and let the flame-out hops steep for 30 minutes before cooling. Tasty added dose 1 of the dry hops when the beer was within 1/2 degree plato. Three days later, he dropped the hops out of the conical. Then he added the second dose of dry hops. Tasty substituted Carastan for the Caramalt.

If you are not using a conical, Tasty recommends doing dose 1 of dry hop in primary, transferring to secondary and adding dose 2 of the dry hop.

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

hey Eric, are those warrior supposed to be 7% AA?

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 08-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
hey Eric, are those warrior supposed to be 7% AA?
No, I believe that they are supposed to be 17%AA. Jamil was mumbling and I wasn't paying attention. Unless your Warrior hops are four years old, I don't think you'll find any at that level.

Thanks for catching that.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 08-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Thanks for this, I just listened to the show, and I was tough to pick up all the details the first time around. UJ is one of the best IPAs out there!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
maximus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCSU View Post
No, I believe that they are supposed to be 17%AA. Jamil was mumbling and I wasn't paying attention. Unless your Warrior hops are four years old, I don't think you'll find any at that level.

Thanks for catching that.

Eric
Well, I learned a lesson from this one. I brewed this up a few days ago using the 7%AA in your recipe as a reference for my 90 minute bittering addition. I never plugged all of the numbers into Beersmith to get a total estimated IBU. This was a spur of the moment, thrown together brew. Only ended up putting in 12g of a 14.6%AA hop for the 90 minute addition. Probably going to be about 26 IBU short of the desired IBU. My estimated IBU is 56.4. Rookie mistake on my part. I brewed a recent IPA with an estimate IBU of 62 with a similar OG and the beer turned out great. There are still plenty of hops to balance out the malt. This won't be a clone, but I am sure it will be a good beer. I will let you know how it turns out.

I am also interested in the effect of the large late hop addition with 30 minute hot steep. I have never done this before.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
schielke
Recipes 

Bummer on the hopping! I am sure it will still be pretty nice though.

How has the fermentation gone for most folks? The English Ale yeast isn't a huge attenuator and this beer needs a nice dry finish. Have people had any trouble getting down to a low enough gravity?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Maximus, just curious- what hops did you use instead of Warrior? ( I am assuming you did not find any 7% Warrior).

Old 08-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schielke View Post
Bummer on the hopping! I am sure it will still be pretty nice though.

How has the fermentation gone for most folks? The English Ale yeast isn't a huge attenuator and this beer needs a nice dry finish. Have people had any trouble getting down to a low enough gravity?
This is a confusing point in the show, I hear WLP 002 at the beginning of the show, then WLP 007 at the end. WLP 002(same as Wyeast 1968) is the Fuller's ESB yeast, and not a very dry yeast, you might get in the 70-74% attenuation range if you pitch a lot of it. The WLP 007 on the other hand, is the Whitbred Dry English Ale Yeast-a very attenuative strain. I think that the beer calls for WLP 007 (same as Wyeast 1098) to be dry enough. I have used WLP 007 and it is really a powerhouse, about 80% attenuation if you use a starter.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
maximus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
Maximus, just curious- what hops did you use instead of Warrior? ( I am assuming you did not find any 7% Warrior).
I didn't find a 7% Warrior, I just estimated the bittering of 90 minutes of 25 g of a 7% Warrior using 12 g of a 14.6% Columbus I had on hand. Warrior was the only hop I didn't have for the recipe. This is where the 26 IBU under hopping came in. I should have more than doubled my 90 minute bittering addition. The 7% Warrior did strike me as odd, but I just trusted the number and didn't calculate the total IBU's for the recipe.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
maximus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
This is a confusing point in the show, I hear WLP 002 at the beginning of the show, then WLP 007 at the end. WLP 002(same as Wyeast 1968) is the Fuller's ESB yeast, and not a very dry yeast, you might get in the 70-74% attenuation range if you pitch a lot of it. The WLP 007 on the other hand, is the Whitbred Dry English Ale Yeast-a very attenuative strain. I think that the beer calls for WLP 007 (same as Wyeast 1098) to be dry enough. I have used WLP 007 and it is really a powerhouse, about 80% attenuation if you use a starter.
From what I remember from the first show that covered the basics for all of the recipes, I thought they stated that WLP002 was the house yeast for all of Firestone's beers. I think they talked about how they use WLP002 and Stone uses a strain more similar to WLP007. I think they talked about their higher attenuation with WLP002 is achieved by using a low temp mash @ 145 and then ramping up to 155, creating a highly fermentable wort. It has been a while since I listened to the episode though.

However, this was another area where I dropped the ball on this recipe. I went to a new LHBS in my area to get the ingredients and they do not carry white labs yeast. The owner assured me that WLP002 was the same as Wyeast 1028. I found out later this was not true and that Wyeast 1028 is equivalent to WLP013. I should have bought Wyeast 1968. The 1028 appears to have greater attenuation (73-77%) and less flocculation (medium to low) than WLP002. This might work out for the better, since I doubt I would have gotten adequate fermentability with my setup for the WLP002 strain. I did a 2liter starter with wyeast nutrients and oxygenated the wort adequately.

Not a clone, but I am hopeful it will turn out well. The hydrometer sample tasted great and the beer is chugging away, so we will see.

Quick Reply