Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Epic Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
weiht
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

More of a british ale kinda of guy but after all the raves it has received, I just to brew it. 4 days into the fv and it has dropped to 1016, and Im wondering if I shld wait till it hit fg or just throw in the first dry hops tomorrow. The nose on this is just amazing, but the bitterness at the end is a little harsh and wOody.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Digging up an old one, but I brewed this about 10 days ago. I must have gotten my notes switched up as I mashed this one at 158-160F and NOT 148F. Along with the 16% or so crystal malt, I went from 1.052 to 1.020 in about 4 days with dry Nottingham.

I'll admit that my fermentation control was lousy on this batch. It started a cool 60F but I moved it to warmer environs and the weather decided to get in the 80s. Beer temp climbed to 74 by day two and I moved it to the basement again to get it in the mid 60s. With the high "FG" it's possible the temp swings have caused the yeast to shut down early. But with the crystal amount and high mash temps, I'm not so sure. Rousing for a couple days at warmer temperature may have brought FG to 1.018.

Any ideas? I'll be dry hopping and kegging in a week (vacation). Beer is still hoppy bitter so the sweetness seems to be in check somewhat in its uncarbonated warm state. No real showstopper off-flavors at this point yet.

On Deck: English Bitter, RIS

Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #33
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Being from NZ, Epic Pale Ale has to be one of my favourite beers. The Hop Zombie is AWESOME but you really do need to love or have an obsession with hops!!

I brewed this yesterday for my first All Grain (BIAB). Seemed to go OK, a truck load of hops!!! Only differences, I'm using New Zealand Cascade @ 8.8% and I used Carahell Malt instead of the Pale Crystal. I hit an OG of 1.065 not 1.052, but shouldn't be to much of an issue.

Cooled it overnight and chucked the yeast in, should be a good brew. Just in time for my birthday next month.

Question though, I don't have anywhere to cold crash, since I bottle instead of keg. For the last edition hops it says to add at cold crash temps for 5 days. Am I OK to just chuck the hops in there at colder temps then bottle? Or should I just chuck em in at 5 days anyways and not worry?

Next on the list, an Irish Red.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #34
14thstreet
Recipes 

If you cannot cold crash or reduce temperature in any way, I would add your last addition at your current temps and leave to sit for an additional 5 days before you bottle. The cold crash helps remove the hop debris and yeast, helps prevent chill haze and may provide a different dry hop character than at warmer temperatures.

This is what I plan to do if I cannot get my kegerator working this week.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #35
14thstreet
Recipes 

Just an update a month from brewday. Concerns regarding a higher FG have vanished at least in my opinion. Racking to add dryhops may have restarted a small fermentation (didn't take a final reading). That said, it's been in the keg for at least a week now (without the 2nd dryhopping) and I am pleased with the results so far. 3 year old cascade hops have held up though are not ideal for a fresh hoppy ale, that I've learned now. Still a nose to it since it's been carbed but have noticed that most of the aroma from the late additions were more or less scrubbed off the beer during fermentation. Still not sold on the late whirlpool additions (while not using a dryhop) to provide lasting aroma. Otherwise, I feel the amount of crystal is needed to help balance some of the strong/harsher bitterness given by the Cascades at this gravity. It's not cloying or overly chewy despite mashing at a higher 158F. Nice drinkable pale ale. But use fresh hops to get the desired effect!!!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 AM   #36
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Brewed and bottled.

I didn't cold crash though, just threw in the last hop addition straight into the fermenter and left it for a further 5 days.

Bottled a week ago, I'll pop a smaller (500ml) bottle into the fridge and let it settle for a couple of days before I try it. Then leave the rest (if I can) for my birthday bash next month along with Schlenkerla's Irish Red.

Experience of my first All Grain brew - http://manawabrew.blogspot.co.nz/201...-american.html

Old 05-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #37
nobita
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The comment below is from the brewing network page for this recipe.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/668

"In the interview the brewer says he does a protein rest @ 55 deg C (131F) and then mashes @ 68.5 deg C (155F) but then later in the show when Jamil gives the recipe he says to do a 148 deg F mash. Is my hearing F'ed or what?"

I listened to the show and the brewer did say 155. Wondering if jamil said 148 to account for system differences or by mistake. What do you guys think?

Votes: 5report abusevote downvote up

Old 05-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #38
14thstreet
Recipes 

Well, I used Nottingham and that chews through most beers for me, so I ended up mashing higher than 148F. In fact, I must have been drinking while brewing and it was 158F instead. I've always mashed higher than normal when using attenuative strains such as Nottingham, US-05, 1056, 001, etc. In any event, I think the beer came out pretty good, even with the large amount of crystal in the recipe. Nothing about the beer tells me to stop drinking after a pint. If you are using the suggested yeast, which I've never used, go with what the brewer said or use your previous experiences in your own brewery. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #39
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Well, birthday came and went. This was the only beer than ran out, so I take that as a good thing. Will definitely brew this again, house ale even. Sadly I only have 6 750ml bottle left!!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #40
samoir-nz
Recipes 

And.... how does it compare to the real thing? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Quick Reply