Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Epic Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
corbomite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anyone attempted this and tasted it?
I brewed this yesterday, I added 10 oz. of carafa III for a black IPA(in color only) but the rest is the same. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 01:33 AM   #12
Bullbythehorns
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I just took the 2nd dryhop out and sampled, it is very, very good. It takes a buttload of hops for a PA, but so far it seems worth every pellet.

FERMENTING: BCS Black Forest Stout, Two Hearted Ale Clone
ON TAP: Dry Irish Stout, Epic Pale Ale Clone, BM's Cent Blonde, Blackfoot River IPA, Racer 5 IPA clone with homegrown hops, Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Threee Floyd's Gumball head clone, Moose Drools Clone
ON DECK: Saison, Pliny the Elder clone

Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
Bosium
Recipes 

I live about 5 miles from Bairds maltings, but they don't sell in smaller quantities than a few tons / a lorry load at a time. My online LHBS stocks all Fawcetts malts though so I really have no excuse but to make this

Old 11-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
Jevans
Recipes 

I used Tasty's recipe as the many of the malt's in the brewers recipe are not available here. I got lazy on the dry hops and kegged after ferment and then stuck a few ounces in the keg for a week. Turned out pretty good and I've never really had anything like it - I would make it again.

It uses a ton of Cascade but luckily Cascade is about the cheapest hop there is when bought in bulk (at least in the USA). I used whole hops during the boil and whirlpool - didn't want to deal with that much pellet hops in sacks.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

I'm giving this recipe a shot over my Christmas vacation. Got a sack of Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise and sourced some Simpsons Caramalt from Northern Brewer, along with Briess 20L and Carapils. Ordered a few pounds of fresh Cascade hops from hopsdirect too, should be tasty.

Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 12-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
I'm giving this recipe a shot over my Christmas vacation. Got a sack of Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise and sourced some Simpsons Caramalt from Northern Brewer, along with Briess 20L and Carapils. Ordered a few pounds of fresh Cascade hops from hopsdirect too, should be tasty.
How many BBL of it are you making?

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 12-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
dstar26t
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

haha, only 12 gallons. I want to do another beer with Golden Promise and I needed to stock up on hops for other recipes.

Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS

Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #18
nberk
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Dry hop timing

Hello, Does anyone know if they stated the timing for the dry hop additions? Specifically, do you add the initial dry hop after fermentation is fully complete or at a certain point before terminal gravity?

Also, did they do all the dry hops in the primary with the trub/yeast in the bottom or transfer off before dry hopping?

Thanks, Nathan

Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #19
dstar26t
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

First dry hop was added to the primary 2 points before final gravity and left in for 5 days. Everything is then dumped/removed from and the beer. Beer gets chilled (serving temp I think) and the second dry hop is added for 5 days cold. Then transfer to keg.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #20
BeerBrent
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

what is a good sub for Fawcett Pale Crystal??

Quick Reply