Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
gicts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I listened to this episode last night and am interested in starting it. My questions:
This recipe is for a 6 gallon batch, correct? The first paragraph states it is in the OP, however the stats contradict it and say it is for 10 gallons. I know the sugar is what they called for in the episode, but then again he had made a 10 gallon batch.

Secondly, I'm considering brewing in a 7g primary, then move to a 6 gallon carboy for the dry hopping. With this amount of hops-and the continual addition of more-how has everyone gone about adding them? Just directly then filtering? Multiple muslim bags?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
pipapat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i reduced everything they did by 40% to convert it into a 6 gallon batch.
I added them right into the fermentor with the dextrose feedings.
After it was all said and done i cooled the beer and proceeded to rack it of the hops.

If i remember correctly it took 2 trys to get most of the hop mass out.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #13
gicts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks man!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

just out of curiosity, with all the trub & hops, how much beer were you left with come bottling time?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #15
pipapat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i had just shy of 5 gallons.
I had 6.25 in the kettle and 6 in the fermentor in looking at my notes.

I stopped feeding with the last bag or two as the yeast was really having a hard time.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

oh wow, I woulda thought the loss would be more. Thanks

Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #17
pipapat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

it would have been it i wasn't so patient with it.
Cooling it in my fridge for a week helped alot of the hops and yeast settle out.
That being said for a beer that cost as much as this did to brew it was painful loosing a gallon.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #18
booherbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried their lately? How is it aging?

Old 07-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #19
lextasy23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Bumping an OLD thread. I took a stab at this one this weekend, 5 gallons.

Here's my problem, and my LHBS had the same issue with the recipe: 11lb of dextrose with a 16.5lb grain bill?? He claims we'll get cidery off flavors.I said it was a 120 clone and a 21% beer, but he seemed pretty adamant.

I slightly adjusted the recipe: glucose syrup (pure, not karo) instead of dextrose. Slightly more grains and hops, slightly less sugar equivalent.

Here's my recipe:

18.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) (1.6 SRM)
2 lb Amber Malt
2 oz Amarillo
2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Warrior
6.0 gal Water

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
1 Pkgs Super High Gravity Ale (White Labs #WLP099)

Total Grain Weight: 20 lb

Post Boil
10.00 lb Corn Syrup (Glucose, pure)
1.00 oz Simcoe
1.00 oz Amarillo
1.00 oz Warrior

My plan to feed the sugar is sort of mad scientist meets ICU nurse... I fabricated a bottle-feeding system with a valve on the bottom. It has graduated marks on it, with 6oz increments (supposed to feed it 6oz twice daily until fermentation halts). This way, there's no risk of contamination.

We started the mash at like 10:00 at night lol.

Boiled for 123 minutes, watched Wayne's World. I used an app called IntervalTimer, intended for workouts. I set the timer to do a 3 minute set with a 3 minute cooldown, and had it alert us with the boxing bell. The bell tolls, add hops. It worked pretty pissa actually.

Aeration was for 1 hour via lifted Super Duty for 40 miles. Trade secret.

Got home and got the glucose feeder sanitized and filled. I was worried about the viscosity being an issue, but certainly not having to open the fermenter twice a day makes me more comfortable. With the valve fully open, the glucose comes out at roughly 1 oz every 10 minutes - the full 6oz I needed took an hour. Not exactly breackneck speed, and I can't even sit back relax and have a home brew for the morning feeding... I figured I could try a heating pad, but by the time it got down the hose it'd probably cool and slow and block up the warm runny stuff. So, I just open it when I wake up and close it an hour later. I made graduations on it every 6oz with a Sharpie, using a measuring cup and water. Two ticks per day is what it gets - so when I filled it, I marked the level, and then counted down 2 and wrote the dates of the upcoming days... Idiot proof IMO. If I forget one (or worse, forget that I forgot one), I can just catch up if need be.

Made a pretty epic started for the high-gravity yeast, however the yeast that I got for free because it was a year past the expiration isn't doing much of anything. Need to overnight some fresh stuff from Amazon.

MYTAPDISPLAY.COM
See my Electronic Tap Display Project!
Next: Black Pepper ESB, Grapefruit Hefeweizen
Fermenting: Smoked Pumpkin Porter, 7 kinds of cider.
Bottled/Kegged: 21% "First Born" IIPA, "Summa Cum Lager" American Pilsner, "Pucker Up, Buttercup" Extra-Hard Limeade, Maple-primed Oatmeal Breakfast Stout, "Old Dirty Bourbon" Bourbon Barrel Ale, "Dropped Tailgate" Cascade Summer SMaSH, "Powerstout" Imperial Coffee Stout, "Barron Manor" Dunkelweizen

Old 07-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
lextasy23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Good news and bad news update:

The good news is that my secondary LHBS had some WLP099 Super High Gravity yeast, so I was able to pitch it quickly (Monday). Within an hour it was bubbling, so I have to assume the other one was just dead - the first LHBS guy told me it could take a couple days - maybe if there were some good cells sure, but I'm sure they were toast.

The bad news (which isn't even all that horrible at all if you're yeast) is that on day 3 I forgot to close the valve on the glucose and I let in about a week's worth of sugar. No big deal, same as front loading it I suppose. The bubbling is still going at a medium pace, so I'm ok with it. I need to get more to fill my bucket anyways, I finally found out the conversion for Dextrose to Corn Syrup, and I need to add like 5 more pounds because of the water weight of the syrup vs. the powder.

The epic starter is bubbling away happily, it'll be pitched tomorrow.

Once that slows I'll rack over to secondary and start the dry hopping for 4 weeks. That seems a tad excessive - I think maybe toning it back to 3 or even 2 weeks??

3oz hops spread over 28 feedings? It just seems like I'll be opening the fermenter up an unnecessary amount of times, possibly exposing it to contamination.

MYTAPDISPLAY.COM
See my Electronic Tap Display Project!
Next: Black Pepper ESB, Grapefruit Hefeweizen
Fermenting: Smoked Pumpkin Porter, 7 kinds of cider.
Bottled/Kegged: 21% "First Born" IIPA, "Summa Cum Lager" American Pilsner, "Pucker Up, Buttercup" Extra-Hard Limeade, Maple-primed Oatmeal Breakfast Stout, "Old Dirty Bourbon" Bourbon Barrel Ale, "Dropped Tailgate" Cascade Summer SMaSH, "Powerstout" Imperial Coffee Stout, "Barron Manor" Dunkelweizen

Quick Reply