Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can You Brew It recipe for Deschutes Obsidian Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
jlpred55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I had this sitting in a keg in my cool room at about 55F or so for the almost 3 weeks now. I kegged it 2 weeks after brewing and the fabled Fullers strain (WY1968) took this from 1.067 to 1.017 in 4 days! I also made a huge starter and kept the ferm temps right in line with the suggested temp. At kegging it was pretty good and I pumped the keg with 35 psi to seal, so I knew it would be lightly carbed by now. Of course, I couldn't resist hooking up a line and taking a small sample to see how it was coming along. After the first sip I could have easily threw it into the keezer and started drinking it right there. The only thing I can say is awesome, awesome! I can't wait to tap this when I have a spot open up and it is carbed to the level it should be. Deschutes carbs this pretty high for the style if I remember right.

My only recipe mod was the bittering hop. I chose to bitter with chinook instead of galena. My guess is it made very little difference.

Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

We are at about 8 weeks now. The keg has been in the keezer for about 2 1/2 weeks and it is fully carbed. I find myself craving the stuff. Tastes of smooth coffee, slight roast and bitter chocolate. The stuff is amazingly drinkable and suprisingly balanced. The high hopping rates really balance out the huge dollop of patent malt, however I don't get too much hop flavor and the bitterness is only in the back. The beer is jet black, with a big cap of solid light tan foam that doesn't quit and laces the glass all the way to the last sip. The mouthfeel is right where I like it to make it drinkable. It is not too heavy but it is slightly creamy and holds on to your tounge to really deliver the flavors. I do not know how long this is going to last. I always trade a few beers with buddies and this I am sure will be a hit and I am guessing I will get lots of help drinking it.

The one thing I am curious to try is using a American yeast variety and mashing higher to see what that brings to the party. I am not sure what the fullers strain is doing for it, because I cannot taste that in this beer. I'd venture a guess I could use a higher mash temp and US-05 and get pretty much the same thing. I am also not sure what the little bit of munich brings to the party. It is such a small amount of that you could eliminate it totally. Other than that I wouldn't mess around too much with the recipe. It is awesome.

Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

I love the English strain but definitely find the extra maltiness they typically bring to the party to get a little overshadowed in darker beers. Still, I use this strain for lots of other reasons so I think I'll stick with it.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #14
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Gonna be brewing this one this weekend - will post results.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
menisale
Recipes 

Default Low Final Gravity

I brewed this recipe a week ago Sunday and kegged yesterday. I'm really looking forward to this beer as it is one of my favorites.

My final gravity ended at 1.010. My original gravity was right on. Figuring this is going to lead to a little lighter finish. Any ideas on why it would have finished so low?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #16
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

I'm just gonna take a wild guess that you did not use the recommended yeast?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #17
menisale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
I'm just gonna take a wild guess that you did not use the recommended yeast?
I used the recommended White Lab WPL002. I was thinking that my Mash temp might have been too low and therefore had more attenuable sugars. Was having issues with the digital thermometer.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #18
Sulli
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I brewed this about four months ago, and I just got my hands on a bottle of the real deal (I live in Utah and it is unavailable). So I decided to do a blind side by side with a couple of friends. One of my buddies picked my homebrew as the "real one", and my wife said she could barely tell the difference.
Personally, I like mine better than the Deschutes, but I may be biased.
This recipe is dead on the money and deliciously satisfying. Brew it.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #19
Cheshire_Cat
Recipes 

Brewed this last month just put it on tap tonight. Not carbed but still tastes fantastic. Realized after reading the recipe here (copied it straight from the show) I missed the Munich Malt lol. Still going to compare to the orginial and see how close it is. Besides it gives me a reason to rebrew. Any thoughts on how the missing Munich might change the flavor profile?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The Munich isn't going to make a heck of a lot of difference at that amount and I'd bet with all the black malt you want even notice.

Quick Reply