Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Deschutes Black Butte Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #11
bolts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've brewed this recipe twice now (tweak it the second time). We've also done triangle tastings and our version of it is not the same. We got more "english fruity" esters and less roasty notes in both the aroma and the taste. That said, the latest batch won best-of-show out of ~30 brews. It's a very nice beer.

I would be curious why we don't get the same roast notes from our brew vs the real thing. We've used both US and UK chocolate malts both times -- the second batch we bumped it up a touch.

http://hopville.com/recipe/331265/brown-porter-recipes/porter-2010-09-09-version
http://hopville.com/recipe/138063/robust-porter-recipes/porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
BSBrewer83
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolts View Post
I've brewed this recipe twice now (tweak it the second time). We've also done triangle tastings and our version of it is not the same. We got more "english fruity" esters and less roasty notes in both the aroma and the taste. That said, the latest batch won best-of-show out of ~30 brews. It's a very nice beer.

I would be curious why we don't get the same roast notes from our brew vs the real thing. We've used both US and UK chocolate malts both times -- the second batch we bumped it up a touch.

http://hopville.com/recipe/331265/brown-porter-recipes/porter-2010-09-09-version
http://hopville.com/recipe/138063/robust-porter-recipes/porter

I just recently had a similar issue with this clone. My brew had more of a "creamier" taste to it. The commercial version was a "crisper" taste. I am thinking that using WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast would be closer.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #13
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBrewer83 View Post
I just recently had a similar issue with this clone. My brew had more of a "creamier" taste to it. The commercial version was a "crisper" taste. I am thinking that using WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast would be closer.
Have you tried altering the carbonation levels?

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
BSBrewer83
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCSU View Post

Eric
I didnt try and unfortunately i had a party and killed the keg. I think it was around 12psi. Would increasing the carb level have that much of an effect? It was about 40f.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBrewer83 View Post
I didnt try and unfortunately i had a party and killed the keg. I think it was around 12psi. Would increasing the carb level have that much of an effect? It was about 40f.
Carbonation can play a significant role in mouthfeel. I am not saying that was your issue, but it would be an easy way to tweak it.

According to this table, your carbonation level is about 2.4 volumes, which should be all right, but I would still play with it a little. Taste it, increase one psi, wait a day, then try it again.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 12-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
BSBrewer83
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Carbonation can play a significant role in mouthfeel. I am not saying that was your issue, but it would be an easy way to tweak it.

According to this table, your carbonation level is about 2.4 volumes, which should be all right, but I would still play with it a little. Taste it, increase one psi, wait a day, then try it again.

Eric
Thanks for the advice! On my next keg I will play with it a bit.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:30 AM   #17
bolts
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

Eric
Great advice. I too will give this a try on some remaining bottles and future batches.

Is there any data to support losing toasty notes in the aroma based on fermentation method? I would swear there is a touch of black patent in the real thing. I'm going to try fermenting even lower next time if WLP002 will let me. I'm taking the brewery tour tomorrow (every time I go to bend). I'll see if they can shed light on it.

Last edited by bolts; 12-10-2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Can't spel

Old 07-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
ChiechiBrouw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bester. Porter. Ever.

I was in the US last month and had the opportunity to stop by the Deschutes brewpub in Portland, where they had a cask porter on tap that was very similar to Black Butte, but with a lovely dried-fruit character and a very full body. The head brewer said he used Ringwood Ale yeast, so I thought it would be fun to give it a try myself.

Since I have only limited access to American ingredients, I brewed this using Marris Otter for the base malt, English chocolate and English light chocolate for the chocolate malts, English wheat malt, and Belgian cara 120 EBC instead of Crystal 80. And, of course, Ringwood Ale yeast. Everything else was to spec (including the protein rest), except I overshot the OG a touch. FG was 1.018.

I let it sit in the fermenter (20-22 °C) for two weeks to give a bit of a diacetyl rest, as is suggested for Ringwood Ale yeast, and then kegged it straight from the fermenter. After carbonating to 2.4 volumes and letting it sit in the fridge for about 36 hours, this is one of the best beers that I have every tasted. Ever. It is just phenomenal.

I haven't had a Black Butte in a while, but I would say that it fruitier, with a bit more body, but overall even better than the Real Thing.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #19
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I notice the recipe that is given on the website for Deschutes lists Chocolate Wheat Malt and not a blend of english and american chocolate. That is likely the ticket to get that more creamy roast chocolate thing. I've been using Chocolate wheat in all my porters since my LHBS started carrying it. I believe it is superior in flavor to regular chocolate malts. It definately has less of the nutty roast coffee character of reg choc and more acutal chocolate flavor. I also didn't know how close my Porter recipe is as well. Bascially 10lbs 2 row, 2lbs Munich 7L, 1.4 Simpsons Crystal 50-60L, 1lb Chocolate Wheat. 60min- 1oz Willamette and .50oz EKG, 30min .50 EKG. I use either 1968 or 1056 depending upon what I have in a slurry at the time. Both are great beers with the 1968 being more indepth flavor, but mash temp is crucial to get the right attenuation depending upon which yeast I use.

Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #20
HopSong

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Is there an extract recipe for this???

Quick Reply