Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Black Sheep Riggwelter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 AM   #11
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Going to brew this beer tomorrow, though with a couple of changes. Malted oats in lieu of wheat (great nuttiness) and some extra dark crystal for a little more complexity. I absolutely LOVE wy1469... this should be good!

77% Pale, MO
9% Malted Oats
6% Crystal 80L
5% Pale Chocolate
3% Crystal 150L

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
corbomite
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Got this in my brew kettle right now. I subbed fuggles in because thats what Ive got. I also had to use the white labs yorkshire ale yeast since I could not get the wyeast.
Now the waiting...

Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
Going to brew this beer tomorrow, though with a couple of changes.
bierhaus, that looks like a good variation on this beer. Any thoughts of it so far?
On Deck: Kumquat Kolsch

Old 01-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
Ender
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Made this up last night. COuldnt get the torrified wheat so I was at the store and saw some puffed whole wheat creal and got that. It's said it was only toasted puffed wheat so should be ok. Although I wasnt sure if I was supposed to crush it or not. Crushed 1 6 oz bag and the others wouldnt crush. Nothing for the rollers to really grab hold of and spin.
Made a nice starter of 1469 built up from a slant and it was bubbling away merrily this morning. My basement is pretty cold so I slapped my brewbelt on it and plugged that into my ranco. The stick on temp read like 79!! this morning, but the probe duct taped on underneath a layer of bubble wrap was reading 65. The probe was at the bottom of the carboy and the brewbelt and stick on thermo were near the top. Hopefully it's ok. Took off the belt when I saw the temps. We'll see.

Tried the beer for the first time the day before and it convinced me to brew this one up.
Only sub was target for bittering since it was in my fridge

Ender

I'm Smelling a lot of IF coming offa this plan

Old 01-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #15
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this 4 weeks ago with a nice starter of reclaimed West Yorkshire yeast, using Optic malt and Willamette as substitutes. 2 weeks in primary, krausen hung around like peanut butter but beer was brilliantly clear upon bottling. Very pleasant fermentation aromas using an "open" fermenter.

First impression of light roasted coffee aroma, the pale chocolate, followed by what I think is the Optic malt supported by earthiness from the Willamettes. This is just the aroma I've been searching for in my English ales. Smooth and creamy (wheat) ends up in a dry finish (yeast). At nearly 6% ABV, at 4 weeks I'm shocked to find out this goes down like a 4%er. Keep carbonation low and serve cool (not cold) to allow yourself to sort out all the complexities.

I brewed this in companion with a Graham Wheeler recipe for Theakston's Old Peculier just to make it easier to pick out subtle differences and have an idea what caused them. Excellent, highly recommended!

On Deck: Kumquat Kolsch

Quick Reply