Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can You Brew It Database (updated 11/2011)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #81
btgold29
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed a 12 gallon batch of this shortly after hearing the pod cast. I have high expectations, it's cold crashing right now. With any luck I will keg it up this weekend!

Carboy 1 Kern Citra Clone
Carboy 2 "
Carboy 3 Baby Honey Barley Wine
Carboy 4 Amerish Brown
Carboy 5 Amerish Brown

Keg 1 House Pale Ale
Keg 2 House pale Ale dry hopped
Keg 3 French Saison
Keg 4 American Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #82
ditch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm0f5 View Post
Tomorrow is going to be day 3 of fermentation.... looking to dry hop, but there is still a huge krausen. If I dry hop, its all going to sit on top instead of in the beer. What did you do?
Don't start the dryhop before fermentation is complete! I racked mine to secondary as the krausen begging to fall to keep that CO2 blanket on top. The release of Co2 with take your aroma with it.

Mine ended up being less hoppy than I expected and finished at 1.009. I have never had the Kern River version of this, but I think I will change a few things next time. Going to raise the mash temp to 152 and add the last dryhop addition in the keg. The hops fade off really fast! I'm assuming this has to do with the insane amount of dry hop. I would also recommend topping your secondary off with CO2 like the podcast states Kern River does. Anything to save the hops!

All in all a good clone attempt. Just not as amazing as I thought it would be. I'll try it again when this year's hop harvest starts to hit the shelf! Cheers!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #83
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Hey gang, try to keep your discussions for the individual recipes in their respective threads. That way people who brew it in the future won't miss your notes and comments. This thread is a way to keep all links to the recipes in a single location. Just a heads up. . Thanks!

EDIT: I just noticed that Kern River Citra DIPA still doesn't have a thread! I take back what I said! Sorry!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze
People Like This 
Old 07-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #84
chezzesteak
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze
hey gang, try to keep your discussions for the individual recipes in their respective threads. That way people who brew it in the future won't miss your notes and comments. This thread is a way to keep all links to the recipes in a single location. Just a heads up. . Thanks!
+1

Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #85
berley31
Recipes 

Still no separate thread for the Citra DIPA, so I'll post here... brewed this with very few changes a few days ago. Waiting to start the dry-hopping soon. Updates will be posted on my blog. Looking forward to this one!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #86
tmm0f5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by berley31
Still no separate thread for the Citra DIPA, so I'll post here... brewed this with very few changes a few days ago. Waiting to start the dry-hopping soon. Updates will be posted on my blog. Looking forward to this one!
Was the fastest I've ever gone through a keg. Such a tasty beverage!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #87
ditch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Mine didn't last long either. Some people complained about the Citra have too much of a "soapy" lemon flavor. Others loved it. I thought it drank best around 4 weeks in the keg. The aroma on kegging day was insane! But the flavor was spot on after some conditioning

Old 12-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #88
GetSudz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

subbed

Old 12-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #89
btgold29
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just an up date, It took me 6 months to go through 12 gallons of the CITRA DIPA. It was awesome to see how such a hoppy beer evolved over the 6 months. Obviously the first 3 months the beer was its prime, however at the 4-5 month mark the beer took on a weird cheesy flavor and aroma and by the 6 month mark that had faded, but the aroma was substantially less. I will note I entered this beer into a comp and won gold medal and best of show runner up. Interestingly enough it took Gold when it was in that cheesy time period. So moral of the story it couldn't have been that bad. Its an excellent recipe that I will be brewing again. I will also note that the beer at the 6 month mark really mellowed out and became even drier in the finish. Had I thought ahead I would have bottled some to open at the one year mark strictly for personal education, as we all know this beer is best fresh.

Carboy 1 Kern Citra Clone
Carboy 2 "
Carboy 3 Baby Honey Barley Wine
Carboy 4 Amerish Brown
Carboy 5 Amerish Brown

Keg 1 House Pale Ale
Keg 2 House pale Ale dry hopped
Keg 3 French Saison
Keg 4 American Stout

Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #90
DPlan00
Recipes 

As for the hop additions, I understand that there are four over the course of 12 days. So am I correct with this schedule?

1st DH=Days 1-3
2nd DH=Days 4-6
3rd DH=Days 7-9
4th DH=Daus 10-12

Quick Reply